lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
DbyC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 09 EZGO TXT PDS Beast 48 - Cart occasionally doesn't move when pushing pedal

Background:
I recently became the owner of a 2009 Beast 48 that needs some work. I was told by the previous owner that it had some issues either with the controller or solenoid. It was a good deal, so I got it. This is my first time to own an electric golf cart.

EZGO TXT PDS
48V
Alltrax DCX500 Controller
MZJ400A Solenoid
Batteries are 2 years old, charge well, good voltage

It ran fine when I looked at it and picked it up. I drove it around my property for a few days with no issue. When I turn the key ON, the Controller LED blinks green 4 times and then stays solid green (normal operation per the guide I found online). From what I've observed, the solenoid is engaging and disengaging when it should.

So, I decided to perform some needed maintenance:
repacked wheel bearings, replaced bushing on shocks and leaf springs, replaced bulbs with LED's, greased zerk ports, and replaced battery cage.

Issue:
Once I got all the batteries hooked up, I turned the key ON and noticed that the Controller blinked 4 green (as usual) and then blinked 2 red. Per the manual, this is an under temperature (-25 degC) error code. The outside temperature was 45 degF. I turned the key OFF and ON a few times...same result. After 15 minutes, I tried it again and it worked fine. Was able to drive it around, but noticed that it was a little jerky when driving (like the throttle was sluggish and then would kick in...almost enough to raise the front wheels).

After some reading, I figured I'd replace the induction throttle sensor. Upon replacing, I discovered that one of the plastic studs that holds the sensor in place was broken. Instead, a self taping screw was used. The alignment looked sufficient, but I went ahead and changed it. I didn't notice any issue with the old one, but figured it was worth a shot.

After installing the new one, I tried the cart. This time, after the 4 green blinks and the solid green, I tried to make it go forward and it blinked 4 red...which indicates an over temperature error, but the controller wasn't hot. After a couple of tries, I tried to go in reverse and it worked, but it still wouldn't go forward. So, I decided to change back to the old sensor.

After reinstalling the old one, I tried the cart and it's working again...both forward and reverse, but every once in a while it gets "jerky"...almost like the pedal is not sensitive, then all the sudden very sensitive.

I found some Controller checks on this forum that I'm going to try and plan to read up on throttle adjustment, but I wanted to see if anybody had more suggestions for troubleshooting.

Any advice would be much appreciated and I look forward to interacting with this online community.

Thanks!
DbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 09 EZGO TXT PDS Beast 48 - Cart occasionally doesn't move when pushing pedal

Have you ever hooked your controller up to the Alltrax tool kit? You can log a data file and one of the guys here can maybe catch what’s going on when it gets jerky.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 AM   #3
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 09 EZGO TXT PDS Beast 48 - Cart occasionally doesn't move when pushing pedal

Go through all connections a lose connection in a dc circuit can do strange things.
redtide361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The DCX uses a program called "Controller-Pro" and a USB to 9-pin serial adapter is needed to connect the DCX to a computer.

The data logs produced have very little information in them. (Attached is a snapshot showing all data columns)

----------
Not sure what controller was originally in cart, but the DCX has 10-pins on top, so an adapter of some sort has to be used.

Remove the adapter, spray clean all the pins on the controller, adapter and cart's wiring harness. Reinstall and try it. Be sure the flip Run/Tow to Tow before unplugging anything.

------------
The temperature is taken by a sensor on the M- buss in close proximity to the MOSFETs, so if the sensor is bad or intermittent, you'll get some weird readings. IIRC, any error code shuts down a DCX.

If cleaning the plug/jack interfaces and verifying the other connections are tight, replace the DCX with an XCT, a far superior controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDF snapshot.jpg (67.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Didn't think of it earlier, but here is the difference in the data logs from a DCX and a XCT.

DCX 6 columns of data plus time/date.

XCT 41 columns of data plus time/date.

The two things I prefer about the DCX log is the higher sample rate and the lines are time stamped down to the millisecond. Other than that, the XCT log is far superior for troubleshooting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDF snapshot.jpg (67.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Raw data file.jpg (83.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #6
DbyC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’ve ordered the serial connection cable...should be here in the next day or so.

I checked and cleaned the connections...everything was in fairly good shape.

After reconnecting, I tried to go forward...now 5 red blinks, which means Open Connection per the manual. The cart will go in reverse just fine. Tried several times and it keeps repeating.

On the replacement controller, any suggestions where to purchase?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:18 AM   #7
DbyC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Forgot to mention that the cart does have a wiring harness that goes from a 9 pin connection on the controller to the 10 pin for the cart.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:22 AM   #8
DbyC
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Performed continuity test on motor per EZGO troubleshooting recommendations...all good.

Put cart rear up on blocks. After several iterations of forward and reverse, the wheels jerked one time in forward, but nothing else. Noticed when opening throttle full open in reverse that it varied speed a few times.

Guess this confirms that the controller is bad?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Five red blinks means "Open Field Circuit" rather than Open Connector. Could be filed windings in motor, reverse portion of the controller's low power output to field windings or the F1 & F2 cables.

Unplug the F1 & F2 cables from controller and measure between them with an ohmmeter. Should get less than 5Ω.

There is a 10 pin connector on top of a DCX controller, pin-8 is blank, so there are only 9 wires loaded.

Does the adapter that connects the cart's wiring harness to the DCX controller look like the one in the attached picture?
If so, the cart started out as a 36V PDS and the replacement controller needed is a XCT48400-PDS (or larger).

This is were I get most of my parts: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS to DCX adapter.JPG (116.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO