lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
lylephelps
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 Medalist won't run

Bought this used and am trying to get it running. Solenoid not picking up.Went through the complete PDS troubleshooting guide and everything in the solenoid activation circuit checks out. The reverse buzzer was missing so I replaced that and the buzzer pulses in both forward and reverse with the key off. Suspect that the speed controller is bad.
lylephelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1994 Medalist won't run

If everything in the solenoid activation circuit is working and the solenoid is not working the solenoid is bad.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
lylephelps
Not Yet Wild

I have tested the solenoid and it is good.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

IF everything in the solenoid activation circuit is good, and the solenoid is good, and the solenoid won't activate, I don't know what to tell you.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What steps did you use to test solenoid?
Thanks
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylephelps View Post
Bought this used and am trying to get it running. Solenoid not picking up.Went through the complete PDS troubleshooting guide and everything in the solenoid activation circuit checks out. The reverse buzzer was missing so I replaced that and the buzzer pulses in both forward and reverse with the key off. Suspect that the speed controller is bad.
The cart is described as a 1994 Medalist and the PDS drive system didn't come out until 2000 and the first sepex system EZGO put out was a DCS and it came out in 1995, so I suspect you might be trying to troubleshoot a cart with a series drive using the wrong troubleshooting guides. However there were Medalists with DCS drives from 1995 through 1999.

Please use the attached to identify the drive type in your cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
lylephelps
Not Yet Wild

Mine is definitely a PDS. I may have been misinformed on the year of manufacture. I have gone through thru the PDS troubleshooting and everything there checked OK. It did not have solenoid resistor or backup buzzer so I have replaced those. Now the backup buzzer pulses when you put the FWD/REV switch in either position with the key OFF. There is Pack voltage on the B+ side of the solenoid all the time.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is the body metal (Medalist) or plastic (TXT)?
Not that it matters for troubleshooting the drive system, just curious, you might have a Frankencart and the wiring might not match the PDS schematic.

The beeper has B+ connected top it 100% of the time and the controller can turn it on at any time except when the Run/Tow switch is in Tow. Does it continue to beep when Run/Tow is in Tow?

When things are working right, B+has to go through 4 switches and pass through the controller 5 times, plus several connectors and multiple lengths of wire to get to the solenoid's small terminal with the yellow wire on it. Attached is a drawing showing the voltage paths and a picture of a PDS controller with Pin-1 highlighted on each jack.

Normally, to get B+ to the solenoid, you have to have charger unplugged from cart, Run/Tow in Run, a direction selected on F/R and the keyswitch on. If you get it there with one or more of those conditions false, the controller is bad, or the B+ has been hot wired to the solenoid coil.

I'm shutting down for the night, back in AM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Jacks Pin-1 in red.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
lylephelps
Not Yet Wild

The beeper does shut off when in the Tow position. I am pretty much convinced that the controller is bad since the B+ terminal is hot all the time and the solenoid does not come on when the activation circuit is completed. In the controller instructions it says that the resistance from F1 to motor frame should be greater than 5M. Mine measures .3M. Is that acceptable or is the motor bad also?
Old 11-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Carbon dust from the brushes coats the interior of the motor and eventually compromises the isolation between the terminals and case, and is most likely what is giving you a low Ohmic reading. Probably just need a thorough cleaning and new brushes, and replacing the shaft bearing wouldn't hurt. Your local motor shop ought to be able to do it if you don't want to DIY.

On the other hand, if the cart has oversized tires or a rear seat, it might be a better idea to replace the motor with a more powerful one.

Sounds like the controller is bad. Replace it with an Alltrax XCT48400-PDS or larger, which is user programmable and will up the top speed to about 24MPH on stock height (18") tires, but top speed can be limited to a lower speed if so desired.

Here is where I get most of my stuff: https://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO