lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Melted battery terminal

I have a 2000.5 club car DS lynx with new AMD 7114 BEAST motor, Alltrax SR48600 and everything else (2g cables, solenoid, switch, etc.) all from Scotty. Everything has been working great for almost a year.

I just got a little trailer, and also just replaced my shoes/drums. I have made five or six multi mile runs with it and the kids in the back. Flat pavement, south Florida. I have been keeping it around 15mph. All has been good. Tonight towards the end of the run I got it up to 20mph and kept it there for apx a mile. Cart shut down, we pushed it home, got it in the garage and found a melted battery terminal.

I am hoping the connection was just loose, but how can I confirm this? I will probably replace the batteries, they are off brand and 4 years old and drop down pretty good when the cart runs. I guess I need to test the resistance in the battery cables? And then if I unhook the last and first battery and test the in/out cable I will be testing the resistance in the rest of the cart correct?

There might actually be a tiny bit of drag from the brakes too. I will loosed the adjustment so there is more play in the peddle just to be sure.

Thanks
SB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Melted battery terminal

My guess is the same thing you mentioned a loose battery connection. You can check resistance with an ohmmeter but if you got these from Scotty I don’t think you will find any bad. He sells excellent products on his site. I usually check my cables every time I fill my batteries with water. Which is once a month depending on how often I use the cart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

yeap all the short battery cables measure zero ohms. Removing the positive/negative to/from the battery pack, so going through the controller, solenoid, motor, etc....measures about 2.5 ohms. Am I right in thinking the wingdings in a DC series motor could give apx 2.5 ohms at rest?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #4
Bobbob
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don’t have an answer on the ohm reading if it is correct. Maybe another member has measured his ohm reading through the controller and motor to see if it is correct. My gut feeling is you just had a loose battery connection and it melted the terminal. If you do a search on melted terminals most of these where caused by bad cables or a loose connector. Some times you can fix the terminal by tapping a new bolt into it. Again search the site for terminal repair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Resistance causes heat, the damage is always at the point of Highest resistance. The melted or burned part is where the resistance was. Resistance in another part of the circuit will not cause a terminal to melt.

Either the cable was loose, or the stud was over-tightened which caused a loose connection.

Replace the damaged cable. If the batteries are that old a new set of quality batteries should be on the shopping list.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
rib33024

You can fix the battery

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/batte...nal-repair.php
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
SB77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Resistance causes heat, the damage is always at the point of Highest resistance. The melted or burned part is where the resistance was. Resistance in another part of the circuit will not cause a terminal to melt.

Either the cable was loose, or the stud was over-tightened which caused a loose connection.

Replace the damaged cable. If the batteries are that old a new set of quality batteries should be on the shopping list.
Gotcha that makes sense. So the cable needs to be replaced? It's reading zero ohms after the melt. I am going to try and get some t875 s tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 02:23 AM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB77 View Post
Gotcha that makes sense. So the cable needs to be replaced? It's reading zero ohms after the melt. I am going to try and get some t875 s tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The ohm method is not the way to test a battery cable. A thin piece of telephone wire will have 0 ohms, but will not handle any amperage. Like said above it was more than likely a loose or over tightened lug, or some corrosion.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:43 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB77 View Post
I have a 2000.5 club car DS lynx with new AMD 7114 BEAST motor, Alltrax SR48600 and everything else (2g cables, solenoid, switch, etc.) all from Scotty. Everything has been working great for almost a year.

I just got a little trailer, and also just replaced my shoes/drums. I have made five or six multi mile runs with it and the kids in the back. Flat pavement, south Florida. I have been keeping it around 15mph. All has been good. Tonight towards the end of the run I got it up to 20mph and kept it there for apx a mile. Cart shut down, we pushed it home, got it in the garage and found a melted battery terminal.

I am hoping the connection was just loose, but how can I confirm this? I will probably replace the batteries, they are off brand and 4 years old and drop down pretty good when the cart runs. I guess I need to test the resistance in the battery cables? And then if I unhook the last and first battery and test the in/out cable I will be testing the resistance in the rest of the cart correct?

There might actually be a tiny bit of drag from the brakes too. I will loosed the adjustment so there is more play in the peddle just to be sure.

Thanks
If you are hoping for someone to "confirm" that your battery cable was loose, I don't see how anybody but you could have known.

If you are uncertain about the cable, throw it away and put a new one on. Just last week I had a fairly new (about a year or so old) cable come out of the sheath/crimp. Just put a new one on and end the uncertainty.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

A loose connection AND tired aging batteries that by you own words drop off quickly is a recipe for disaster and terminal melt down. Neighbor's cart had new batteries that were just in need of a charge and it had a battery cable hot enough to really catch your attention.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car