lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
Jaydubya
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 TXT PDS - Lights work will not run

Hi. 1st post and can't find this specific issue on the forums.

My cart has new batteries that have been charged a few times. My son was backing out to go somewhere and the cart stopped and would not move in forward or reverse.

When you turn the key on the lights are working but the battery gauge is completely dark. The forward/reverse button does not cause a noise when placed in reverse. I've checked all the wiring and don't see anything loose.

Based on internet research, I've looked for a reset button on motor and could not find one. I also thought it might be the Reed Switch but it did not look like this model has one.

When I plug the charger into the cart, the charger does not blink at all. It stays dark.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Thanks!
Jaydubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 TXT PDS - Lights work will not run

The lights portion of the keyswitch is a completely separate set of contacts than those that operate the drive system and meter.

Since the meter and drive system don't work, the problem is either a bad keyswitch, or a loss of battery pack voltage prior to the keyswitch.

I'd start by measuring the voltage between the battery pack's main negative and main positive terminals. Ought to be about 38.2V when fully charged and likely has to be above about 30V for battery charger to turn on.

What make/model charger?

Measure the voltage on the smallest of the three wires coming out of the backside of the charge receptacle. Should be same as battery pack voltage.

Here are a schematic for a PDS drive, a drawing showing voltage paths through the PDS controller to the keyswitch and a picture of a PDS controller with Pin-1 highlighted on all five jacks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (129.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Jacks Pin-1 in red.jpg (58.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Jaydubya
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I'll get the make and model of the charger but it was the one that came with the cart. I need to track down a multimeter and check the voltages.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #4
Jaydubya
Not Yet Wild

I checked everything. Replaced the solenoid. Turned the key and the battery meter lit up and golf cart moved forward. but....

As I was walking around the cart to start putting everything back together, the battery farthest away from solenoid and main battery connections started to spark. It sparked two or three times before I could disconnect the batteries. It melted that terminal. What could have caused this? I double checked my wiring of the solenoid (took pictures of original wiring) and it is the same.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What happened is fairly obvious, the terminal had too much resistance (corrosion or the nut on stud over tightened, twisting stud in lead post) and melted when a lot of amps flowed. Why it happened is more complex since there shouldn't been more than a few milliamps flowing if nobody was pushing the go pedal.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

A good battery will cost more than $100 it seams to me that the manufacturer would use something more than a 14 cent bolt casted into a lead post. Obviously there are no NASA engineers designing Lead Acid Batteries. The Crown Battery with 2 methods of connection (Threaded & Marine Post) is by far the better design. I have never seen a marine post "Melt" off

Poor Battery housekeeping is the most common problem that we fix as a shop. The owner could have prevented this issue with a weekly inspection.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
Jaydubya
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
What happened is fairly obvious, the terminal had too much resistance (corrosion or the nut on stud over tightened, twisting stud in lead post) and melted when a lot of amps flowed.
Good thought - no corrosion but it is possible the nut was over tightened. Turns out the post didn't actually melt but the cable plastic melted onto the battery. We were able to get the cable off and everything look fine. I put everything back together and tried to reproduce the spark and nothing happened. I then took the cart on trip around the block and reinspected the batteries. Everything look fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Poor Battery housekeeping is the most common problem that we fix as a shop. The owner could have prevented this issue with a weekly inspection.
A little harsh and not very helpful. These batteries were installed in October and were inspected regularly prior to after this problem first started.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydubya View Post
1. Good thought - no corrosion but it is possible the nut was over tightened. Turns out the post didn't actually melt but the cable plastic melted onto the battery. We were able to get the cable off and everything look fine. I put everything back together and tried to reproduce the spark and nothing happened. I then took the cart on trip around the block and reinspected the batteries. Everything look fine.

2. A little harsh and not very helpful. These batteries were installed in October and were inspected regularly prior to after this problem first started.
1. I don't know why there was arcing or why the cable insulation melted, however you mentioned in the first post that the battery meter didn't come on and the charger wouldn't work, but the lights worked. Putting on my deerstalker cap, I deduce that somewhere in the cables and their connections that connect the six 6V batteries in series to create a 36V battery pack there was an open, possibly at the terminal where the arcing occurred, which disabled the 36V battery pack. That would have shut down a 36V to 12V reducer as well as the battery meter and charger, so I suspect you are tapping off two of the 6V batteries to power the 12V accessories. If so, that practice will imbalance the pack and shorten its useful lifespan.

2. Diplomacy is often lacking in this forum.

-------------
I have a 2008 PDS also. Mine has a small pigtail fuse instead of a reed switch. I had the in-line spade connection between it and the controller fail and replaced it with a solder joint.

-----------
Glad your cart is running again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO