lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
MCortesEsq
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2016 S4 is fried. New motor & controller?

Just got the call that my cart isn’t working because the motor and controller are fried. I recently had it reprogrammed last month and it looks like something went wrong. So I’m going to make lemonade out of lemons and upgrade it all since I’ll need a new motor, controller, and solenoid anyways. What do you all recommend for speed and light towing?
MCortesEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2016 S4 is fried. New motor & controller?

Did it get towed while I’m the run position or something? I’m trying to figure out what would take out a motor and controller at the same time.

Have you tested the motor independently?
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Seems odd that a 2016 has motor and controller fried. Unless someone towed it while the Run/Tow switch was in Run as LukeL pointed out.

Could be the reason both are "fried" is your tech needs to recover from year end expenses?..... My brother in law had that happen with a shop here in Pinellas County. they hit him for a new controller. Then a new motor later. Then a year later another new motor... If you trust the shop that diagnosed it then never mind.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
MCortesEsq
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Supposedly the motor shorted out and that fried the controller. Hasn’t been towed but I do think I may have pushed it about 10 feet in the garage and forgot to move the switch. Would that short of a distance at a low speed do it?
MCortesEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

A 10 foot push won’t hurt it. In very rare cases that can happen, but it doesn’t seem likely that something so new the motor would short out. I could be wrong though.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
A 10 foot push won’t hurt it. In very rare cases that can happen, but it doesn’t seem likely that something so new the motor would short out. I could be wrong though.
It's a 48V SepEx drive system. Unlike AC drive, SepEx does not handle going slow or towing well. My recomrndation would be to convert it to AC drive since motor and controller need replacing. It has one of the really simple SepEx controllers.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO