lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Can a limited slip go bad?

I was cruising trough the mud yesterday and found some deep stuff. I got stuck and only had one wheel spinning. Is this because it was too much load on the rear end? Or is something wrong with my limited slip rear end? I have a 2012 RXV.
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Can a limited slip go bad?

My original (Chinese made) TD slip that was in my txt went "south" after about 8 years. I replaced it with a Plowman's posi unit and have been happy with that one.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #3
pattyandrick
Getting Wild

Jack up one wheel. It should not turn easily

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
pattyandrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:37 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The rxv posi can go bad, and what usually causes its early demise is having one stripped hub (like the old txt days). With the rxv, it'll still run with one stripped hub (for a while) while the poor posi trys to send power to the one wheel it has left. Sometimes the customer wont even notice the horrible noise it makes when accelerating (spinning the stripped hub, but it still goes, so it must be fine, right?). The hub, if caught early, does little harm, if caught when "the cart wont go no more", it's a big $ job. The cart requires a posi due to how it does all its brakes through the motor (no brake at each wheel). And dont think, "well, I dont off-road, so I dont need a posi", the rxv electric cant safely stop you without it. Technically, the rxv posi is "rebuildable", but no one offers "just the rebuild parts". Its a whole posi carrier job. Usually an axle shaft & hub by that time too (it could have been just a hub alone if caught early).

The "just try to spin one wheel" thing doesnt apply here either (that posi would be more worn out than the local "paid corner girl" if you know what I mean). Ezgo's specs are "it should take 75 ft/lb at minimum" to overcome the slip in the posi.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:43 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

CG. Is it also possible ain't nothing wrong with it?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:09 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
CG. Is it also possible ain't nothing wrong with it?
I suppose so, but limited slip is usually "very limited" for its slip. Like I've never seen a good one spin "just one wheel" at all. Its tight enough that the RXV's "steer crappy" on gravel & loose dirt because the posi just wants to "push straight ahead". The need for posi in RXV is because the motor is the brakes. The motor cant control both wheels "directly", only through the axle. If one wheel were on asphalt, and other were on grass, the one with less traction would spin backwards (like that "do I have posi test") and no braking effort would be working. The wheel on grass would just spin backwards. (I've seen that on rxv with "wasted posi" before). Just like doing a burnout in the old muscle car without posi usually just spins one wheel. No energy gets to the other wheel, same for RXV braking, without posi, all stopping effort would be lost in the wheel with least traction.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It is also not always the same wheel. Sometimes its the left others times its the right.
I don't have any other issues with the rear end, no grinding, whining, or noise.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
It is also not always the same wheel. Sometimes its the left others times its the right.
I don't have any other issues with the rear end, no grinding, whining, or noise.
Ok, so put rear end up on Jack stands. Remove one wheel, put a torque wrench with 15/16" socket on hub nut in middle. Set torque wrench to 75 ft lbs. If hub turns before torque wrench "clicks", it is worn out by ezgo standards.
Then repeat the test on lower torque settings until it does click first. That last part is just for our amusement, of course.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Ok, so put rear end up on Jack stands. Remove one wheel, put a torque wrench with 15/16" socket on hub nut in middle. Set torque wrench to 75 ft lbs. If hub turns before torque wrench "clicks", it is worn out by ezgo standards.
Then repeat the test on lower torque settings until it does click first. That last part is just for our amusement, of course.
Haha ok thanks. I'll try the first one.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:11 AM   #10
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
Haha ok thanks. I'll try the first one.
So she holds 75lbs on the ole torque wrench. So it's not worn out according to EZGO. Guess I'll just stay out of the deep mud. Glad I I have my wench. Thanks CGTECH.

Tags
limited slip, rvx
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO