lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

Default ezgo pds diagnosis

ive got a 36 volt pds cart that will not run. Cart has new batteries and proper voltage.

When I turn the key on and hit the pedal the solenoid clicks once. does not click again unless I turn the key off and back on.

I unhooked the wiring to the motor and tested it on 12 volts and the motor runs fine.

reverse buzzer works.

I tried to use the diagnostic beeps to see if it has a fault code but am a little confused how to read the beeps. I have a personality plug in the controller. when I do the neutral/ reverse sequence to read the code I get 4 beeps then nothing. IF I take the personality plug out and do the same thing I get one beep and then nothing. I thought the first set of beeps should indicate the speed setting and I should expect a second series of beeps after the first set that would give me the fault but maybe I am not understanding that correctly.

Any ideas?
bdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: ezgo pds diagnosis

You need to try & drive to get the fault beeps.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
the cart will not drive at all, any other options?
Old 02-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
ok I went and tried to drive it after entering diagnostic mode and get 2 beeps
Old 02-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #5
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

maybe the two beeps is actually the 1-1 fault code? it beeps twice then pauses a second or 2 then beeps twice again over and over until I turn the key back off.

According to the chart that means controller failure...does that sound right?

im surprised the diagnosis part even works if the controller has failed
Old 02-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The PDS controller does a lot of things, some interactive and some separate from the rest, so the part that failed is separate from the part that does the diagnostics. Also, before the error list says replace controller, it says check motor wiring and motor Ω.

Download the service manual and go through the troubleshooting tree starting on page F-10.

Owners, Service and Parts manuals are the first three .pdf files on attached link:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The PDS controller does a lot of things, some interactive and some separate from the rest, so the part that failed is separate from the part that does the diagnostics. Also, before the error list says replace controller, it says check motor wiring and motor Ω.

Download the service manual and go through the troubleshooting tree starting on page F-10.

Owners, Service and Parts manuals are the first three .pdf files on attached link:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
ok I looked the service manual and followed the steps, got to step # 13, 14 and 15 where I should read 2.7 +/- 0.5 volts and I read zero on all 3. according to this test that means I should replace the motor?

I have already tested the motor separately though and it works fine...

Also the test sequence references a resistor across the large posts of the solenoid, there is no resistor on my cart... edit- I do have the resistor present, I just didn't see it tucked in there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pds troubleshoot.jpg (99.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pds troubleshot 2.jpg (87.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Looks like You found something that slipped passed the proofreaders.
The No arrow on step 13 ought to point to a box that says replace controller.

Steps 14 and 15 are checking the F1 & F2 cables, but if there is no output from the controller, those test are bound to fail.

The PDS controller has two outputs to the motor, a high current one (up to 300A) to the armature and a low current one (up to about 30A) to the field windings. Looks like the low current one has failed.

The failure could have been caused by a short between F1 & F2 cables, so you need to check a couple of things.

Check the F1&F2 cable where the go around the battery box frame. They can rub there and damage the insulation. See attached picture.

Check the motor's resistance.
Set your VOM to RESISTANCE (Ω).
With your motor disconnected, measure A1 to A2. This must measure BETWEEN .3Ω and 1Ω.
With your motor disconnected, measure F1 to F2. This must measure BETWEEN 1Ω and 2Ω.
With your motor disconnected, measure A1 to F1. This must measure OPEN.
With your motor disconnected, measure F1 to motor case. This must measure greater than 5MΩ. (5,000,000Ω)

The actual resistance for the armature and field windings are much lower, but require specialized test equipment and the above values is what is read on a typical DMM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worn field wire insulation.jpg (593.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

put a new controller in and its up and running, thanks for the help
Old 02-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #10
Mduvall219
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeer View Post
ive got a 36 volt pds cart that will not run. Cart has new batteries and proper voltage.

When I turn the key on and hit the pedal the solenoid clicks once. does not click again unless I turn the key off and back on.

I unhooked the wiring to the motor and tested it on 12 volts and the motor runs fine.

reverse buzzer works.

I tried to use the diagnostic beeps to see if it has a fault code but am a little confused how to read the beeps. I have a personality plug in the controller. when I do the neutral/ reverse sequence to read the code I get 4 beeps then nothing. IF I take the personality plug out and do the same thing I get one beep and then nothing. I thought the first set of beeps should indicate the speed setting and I should expect a second series of beeps after the first set that would give me the fault but maybe I am not understanding that correctly.

Any ideas?
Under the food mat in the middle of the cart is a box. Unscrew the 2 bolts and take cover off. Inside you will see the micro switch. Check the connection on the two wires I circled on the picture below. If still doesn’t run check for continuity on bottom and top when pedal is pushed.
Mduvall219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO