lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #1
sdhunter123
Not Yet Wild

Default Interrupted First Charge on New Batteries...

Okay so i recently purchased a 2011 48V EZGO knowing it would need new batteries. Before i put the new batteries in, I read up on the proper procedures to break in new batteries. This morning I installed 6 of the Crown CR-190s. I put on the initial charge and the plan was to make sure that it was fully charged before i started the ride/discharge process. After i installed i was working on other house projects and as i was returning from the hardware store i see my wife and son pulling back into the driveway on the golf cart. They were excited to have the new cart so decided to test her out.

So it was on the charger (Powerwise QE) for about 5 hours. It was doing the long blink for a while so as stated on the charger it was above 80% for quite a while. I dont believe it was fully done before left the garage. Now with that said the ride was only about 5 minutes down to the end of the street and back. I immediately put back on the charger and after about 30 minutes it is now showing fully charged.

My question is.. would that short ride cause any issues with the initial charging process? I just want to make sure i didnt just mess up brand new batteries...Since the full charge, i have pulled off the charger and let sit for a bit and about to take it around the neighborhood for a little to discharge before i put back on. We have a bar/restaurant in the neighborhood so not a bad thing..haha.. Im new to all this so any thoughts are appreciated.
sdhunter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Interrupted First Charge on New Batteries...

You should be fine. Put it back on tonight and let it run.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That 5 minute ride had little, if any, effect on your new batteries since they were fully charge before any significant discharging was done.

It is winter, so your new batteries will be a bit shy of their rated AH even after they are broken in, but will have their rated capacity when warm weather comes around.

Cart batteries are rated at 80°F and lose about 10% of their storage capacity for every 15°F under that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temperature vs storage capacity.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
sdhunter123
Not Yet Wild

Great. Thank you for the responses.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
sdhunter123
Not Yet Wild

Okay so to add to this... At full charge the entire pack is showing 50.4V. When i test individual, they show 8.2V each. When I look at the chart for 48V, that shows that each battery is not at the full 8.49V for 100%...

I do have the Powerwise QE charger and have read about alot of issues with them. Should i look into a new charger??
Old 02-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhunter123 View Post
Okay so to add to this... At full charge the entire pack is showing 50.4V. When i test individual, they show 8.2V each. When I look at the chart for 48V, that shows that each battery is not at the full 8.49V for 100%...

I do have the Powerwise QE charger and have read about alot of issues with them. Should i look into a new charger??
There are different charts for different brand batteries. Attached is the one for Crown.

Try replacing the batteries in your DVM.

The Lester Summit II is one of the best chargers available and the best bang for the buck.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/lester-summit-ii.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crown SoC chart.jpg (208.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #7
sdhunter123
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Jonnie!! Really appreciate it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO