lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 Precedent light kit questions

Hi there! I attempted to install a light kit on my 2009 Precedent. I installed a 48v to 12v reducer, checked my voltage, and it read 12v coming from the reducer. I hooked up my light kit, turned on my lights, and they worked! Turned them on and off a few times, then suddenly, out of nowhere...they flickered off. I immediately checked my voltage again and it suddenly showed 48v coming FROM the reducer. What the heck? Did my voltage reducer suddenly crap out? I immediately disconnected everything, and now I have no idea what to do. Is my light kit shot? How do I even find out? Thank you for any help you can give me!
Mreidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2009 Precedent light kit questions

If there was 48v coming from the 12v side of the reducer... then yeah your lights are toast.
And the reducer is almost certainly faulty.

What kind of reducer? Where did you get it?
If it was Buggies Unlimited, then just get your money back.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

That’s what I was afraid of. It was a cheap reducer, and I decided on it because it fit best in my cart (where the heck do you mount those huge ones anyway???) I was rejoicing because it was the cheapest option...ha. Guess I need to figure out where to mount one of those big suckers. Thanks so much.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
JWreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

What light kit did you buy? I had the same thing happen with the first MadJax Ultimate kit I bought, where the reducer didn’t reduce anything. Lesson learned to check the other side with a voltmeter first. They replaced everything under warranty and I went and bought the switches reducer from Carts Unlimited here on BGW. Way better setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

I bought a cheap reducer and a light kit from Wild About Carts (miserable customer service). Both off amazon. Checked the voltage on both sides, was good to go, connected everything, and after a few minutes the lights flickered off. Checked voltage again and the reducer had stopped...reducing. Lesson learned there, spend the extra money for good customer service and quality parts.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

On the Precedent the factory reducer is mounted on the suspension A-frame above/behind the steering rack. There's a flat plate with some holes in it that may or may not line up with the ones in your reducer, but it's easy to put some self drill/tap screws in.
That's where people typically mount the larger reducers because there's plenty of room there, it gets some airflow, and the steel frame acts sort of as a heat sink.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The other reason to mount up front on a Precedent is that you don't need to run any wires back to the battery since all wires needed are available in the dash by the passenger side 12-pin bucket harness connector.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Mreidy
Not Yet Wild

Unfortunately the cheap light kit I bought did all its business in the back, under the seat, and had me jacking around with a voltage reducer that went right to the battery. Now I realize how much easier this could have been by spending more $$, since those kits are wired up front and I don’t have to jack with the battery. I found the mounting place up front, thanks so much for all your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car