lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
jeanneo8
Getting Wild

Unhappy Powerwise won't work after new board

I have ordered 2 boards they keep sending a new revised one and it is not working in my charger, it looks different even. I can put a jump wire on and it starts humming. Everything else checked out ok. Any ideas, I can't seem to find the original board.
jeanneo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise won't work after new board

Probably one of two possibilities.

1. The PW 28115 charger (picture attached) originally had a two piece control board, which is no longer available and is replaced with a one piece control board. So does your charger still have the two piece control board? (On piece vertical behind front panel and another horizontal behind heat sink)

2. The battery sense contact is not picking up battery pack voltage in the cart's charge receptacle

Here's a service manual and some other info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PW one board replacement..jpg (235.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
jeanneo8
Getting Wild

That is my board in your pic but they keep sending me a different one that they say replaces mine but it won't work in my cart. Everything test ok with a multimeter and when I jump the wires it hums, attach the wires to transformer and I get nothing. It should hum just plugging in without connecting the cart.
Not sure how to put a pic on here, but my board say
28667-G01 and they keep sending me 9012. I know they say it replaces it, but it won't work in my charger...
jeanneo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanneo8 View Post
That is my board in your pic but they keep sending me a different one that they say replaces mine but it won't work in my cart. Everything test ok with a multimeter and when I jump the wires it hums, attach the wires to transformer and I get nothing. It should hum just plugging in without connecting the cart.
Not sure how to put a pic on here, but my board say
28667-G01 and they keep sending me 9012. I know they say it replaces it, but it won't work in my charger...
The PW 28115 charger will not hum until it is plugged into the cart and the battery pack is above 30V.

In a nutshell, the relay on the control board uses the cart's battery pack to close its contacts.

Measure the voltage between the red and black wires on the control board. If there is less than about 30V, the relay is not going to energize.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

BTW: There are a lot of different control boards out there, but they all work the same and are interchangeable electrically, so if it will fit physically, it will work correctly in whatever ferroresonant transformer type charge you have.

All the control board is, is a semi-smart switch. It turns on the charger (which consists of a ferroresonant transformer, a boost capacitor and a pair of diodes) when it is connected to a cart whose battery pack is 30V or more and turns off the charger when the on-charge voltage climbs to 45V +/-1V or in 12 hours if the on-charge voltage fails to climb to the pre-selected cutoff voltage within the allotted time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO