lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
ballerpnc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO reducer amd fuse block hookups

I have a 2010 EXGO RXV. 48v system. (4) 12v batteries.
Default Re: 12v reducer sparks?
Can I clarify something? I am also working on hooking up a 30 amp reducer as well as a fuse block. I have studied several wiring diagrams and read a lot of these posts. I wanted to clarify - should the cart be in TOW mode the entire time when making all of these connections? Up until After the last connection is made? I like the resistor bulb idea and will use that.

I actually went to hook my connections up last week and got a huge spark when making the last connection to the negative post on battery back. It must have startled me and I think I made a touch to something else. I ended up melting one of the battery cable connectors and a terminal on a battery. I want to be dang sure I don’t do something wrong again. I’ve checked all these forums and I’m sure I have connections right - except I do need to add a fuse to the 48 v input line going to positive battery. Just wanted to make sure it should remain in tow mode. I have a 2010 EZGO RXV cart btw. Also I have the almost same reducer mentioned above. It is ok to wire the positive into the solenoid controller rather then the 48v positive battery terminal? Thanks!
ballerpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO reducer amd fuse block hookups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerpnc View Post
I have a 2010 EXGO RXV. 48v system. (4) 12v batteries.
Default Re: 12v reducer sparks?
Can I clarify something? I am also working on hooking up a 30 amp reducer as well as a fuse block. I have studied several wiring diagrams and read a lot of these posts. I wanted to clarify - should the cart be in TOW mode the entire time when making all of these connections? Up until After the last connection is made? I like the resistor bulb idea and will use that.

I actually went to hook my connections up last week and got a huge spark when making the last connection to the negative post on battery back. It must have startled me and I think I made a touch to something else. I ended up melting one of the battery cable connectors and a terminal on a battery. I want to be dang sure I don’t do something wrong again. I’ve checked all these forums and I’m sure I have connections right - except I do need to add a fuse to the 48 v input line going to positive battery. Just wanted to make sure it should remain in tow mode. I have a 2010 EZGO RXV cart btw. Also I have the almost same reducer mentioned above. It is ok to wire the positive into the solenoid controller rather then the 48v positive battery terminal? Thanks!
Let me first say, I've stuck with the TXTs rather than the RXV for a couple reasons not relevant. But I did learn enough to know that you should probably not touch the electrical system of the RXV. By that I mean, don't tap any wire for anything.

I would suggest you hook your 48v to 12v converter directly to the battery posts positive and negative. You're right, you should fuse the positive line. And if it were me, I'd add an on/off switch inline with the positive wire so I could turn off the converter for future wiring jobs. Using a 12v fuse block powered by your 48/12 converter is a nice touch.

If you are concerned about the cart's controller, you can flip that run/tow switch, but I'd simply disconnect the battery pack from the system by pulling a battery cable off somewhere conveniently located in the middle of your 4 batteries.

All my advice is subject to correction by someone who knows what they're talking about. LOL

Good luck
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
ballerpnc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Mike
2 questions:

Rather than add a switch - couldn’t I just remove the fuse on the positive input from the 48v after I install it rather if I don’t use a switch?

Also- going back to the connections - I know you suggested removing a center battery cable - essentially breaking the bank of batteries. If I do this - I would hook up the positive and negative from the reducer to the positive and negative batteries - then my final connection would be to rehook up that battery cable that I disconnected? I just want to be sure so I don’t kill another battery terminal again and cost myself another $160. Thanks
ballerpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
doublestack00
Getting Wild

You can use the solenoid as a "keyed" switch the the reducer. I've hook up tons this way with out any issues.
doublestack00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse block, reducer
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO