lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
UKPR1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax SR 48400 Operation Question

I have a very basic question that I can't seem to find an answer to even after reading though all the Alltrax postings I could find...
I received and installed the 48400 (thanks Scott) and must admit - it did not disappoint. I'm now getting 21mph on flat ground, 22" tires off road tires on 48V on the 36V motor. Installed the 200a solenoid to go with it and upgraded to the 2 gauge wires. My question is: is the Alltrax only meant to be powered when the pedal is pressed or when the key switch is turned on? As per my install, the Alltrax only gets power and does its 4 flashes and steady green when the pedal is pressed and the solenoid clicks. As soon as you let off the pedal, the Alltrax shuts down (no lights) until the pedal is pressed again. Is this correct, or is it meant to cycle up when the key is turned so that it is constantly on until the key is switched off? If it's meant to be key and not pedal dependent...what did I mis-wire?

Thanks in Advance,

Geoff
UKPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax SR 48400 Operation Question

The stock EZGO series drive wiring turns the controller on when the pedal switch contacts close and off when the pedal switch contacts open. (It powered on by the same voltage that energizes the solenoid.)

I'm pretty sure EZGO wired the switches the way they did so the least amount of wire is used, rather than a safety feature or other reason.

You also have to have a direction selected on the F/R to get controller to turn on.

This switching order also is less than ideal for a voltage reducers that are turned on by the keyswitch.

If I had a series drive, I'm pretty sure I'd do some rewiring. Reed switch to keyswitch, then to MS-2 on F/R then to pedal switch and I'd run a wire from the keyswitch to the controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SR in TXT - KSI highlighted.jpg (252.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You have installed the unit correctly. The solenoid resistor keeps the controller precharged so it is ready to work in a nano-second. So yup - it powers up and the solenoid closes all in the blink of an eye and away to go. Perfect.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
UKPR1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, gentlemen.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:49 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The resistor is there to prolong the life of your solenoid. So it only has to "jack up" the voltage by a small amount when the big "off-to-on" job is required. As opposed to "filling" the controller capacitors from 0 to full power instantly. (They can accept & release power at the speed of light , 'not quite that fast'). that job would be rough on the solenoid 1,000,000 times in a row without a "buffer". An "not 100% accurate description", but you can get the idea.. the resistor is the "buffer" to help the solenoid live a long happy life. Some controllers "freak out" if it's not there, but it's a "parts saver", not a piece that couldnt be done without (unless your controller notices it's gone, which many will notice). Many carts made after the mid 90's might notice. (But yamahas after that time might actually be mad if you added one, they didnt use it).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
UKPR1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That's quite an interesting and colorful explanation that actually makes sense. Thanks CG!

Geoff
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO