lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2020, 01:18 AM   #1
Rincoln
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Motor upgrade in DFW? 1995 Medalist

I am a very newbie here. Just finished my first cart. Bought it with busted suspension and a promise it worked. Well put it back together and painted it. Bought new batts and was driving.
Then I got really bored maxing out at about 11-12mph and even slower up a hill with the full family in the cart.
I read about Plum Quick with mixed reviews and figured somebody in DFW with a good rep could do the same as a bandit upgrade for equal or less of a price.

Who should I talk to?

Before and after pics below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g3.jpg (88.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg g4.jpg (82.4 KB, 0 views)
Rincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2020, 04:21 AM   #2
Sideways
Gone Wild

Default Re: Motor upgrade in DFW? 1995 Medalist

Assuming your 95 Medalist is 36v series cart (my 94 Medalist was) your best bet is to upgrade to 48v.
The lower voltage is what's limiting your mph.
It can get a little pricey but you won't need to replace your motor (assuming it's in good shape)
Several people, including myself have upgraded to 48v and documented their builds on here. Lots of great help/advice on here from members that are far more experienced than myself.
Enjoy.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Rincoln...what sideways is saying is correct. by upgrading your controller/solenoid/F&R switch.....go to 48v (since you just got new batteries, you can put 2 more batteries in the bagwell to get you to 48v) by making the jump to 48v with the stock motor you will get a 33% jump in speed and torque.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:34 AM   #4
Rincoln
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Rincoln...what sideways is saying is correct. by upgrading your controller/solenoid/F&R switch.....go to 48v (since you just got new batteries, you can put 2 more batteries in the bagwell to get you to 48v) by making the jump to 48v with the stock motor you will get a 33% jump in speed and torque.
I hear what yall are saying but aren't you comparing a $250 fix with a $1000 fix. That is like adding four turbos and an intercooler to a import racer instead of dropping in an LS motor for 1/5th the price and ending up in the same place.
I may be cheap or just value oriented but correct me if I am wrong.
Rincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I think what those guys are trying to say is that you’re going to have a hard time getting any real improvements without spending some money. Before my upgrades my cart did 22-23 at 36v, and would get uphill decently, but it had a factory upgraded controller and motor. Stock carts were designed to go 12-14 mph with 2 guys.
If you want to get educated on motors, and what provides speed vs torque, use advanced search and look for posts by Johnnieb. In a nutshell, more voltage will give your more speed. A controller capable of delivering more amps will give you more torque to get you and your family up those hills.
As for finding someone locally to upgrade your motor for cheaper, I guess that’s not an impossibility, but I don’t ever hear of anyone on here being successful with that. Plum quick, emp motors, along with the admiral motors, seem to be most popular and you’ve got to spend a bit.
So, in summary, I just don’t think you’re going to find any real improvement for a couple of hundred dollars.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO