lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
mdowney
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Replacing 1 of 6 batteries

Hello, before replacing all 6 , 8 volt batteries on my 2000 CC DS I’d appreciate your opinion. Batteries are 8 years old, recent lack of power and “shuttering” with full acceleration. Battery pack at rest measures 51.2 and 51.8 after charging. Underway, pack measures high 40’s down to high 30’s up hill.
Hydrometer reading is “good”, 1275-1300 on all cells on 5/6 batteries, with one bad “water” reading in one cell of the sixth battery. Questions;
-is the “shuttering” under load symptomatic of a bad pack or could there be a separate issue?. And
-Would replacing the one battery be advisable?
Thank you,
Mike
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Replacing 1 of 6 batteries

Those batteries are ready for replacement. I can't believe you got 8 years out of them. That is one of the oldest still working packs I've heard of. The most I ever got was a little over 6 years. The issue with replacing just one is that the new battery will continue to charge because the old ones take longer to bring up to a full charge and will really shorten the life of the new battery. Low voltage can certainly cause the shuttering issue under load.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
Dragracer_Art
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
Those batteries are ready for replacement. I can't believe you got 8 years out of them. That is one of the oldest still working packs I've heard of. The most I ever got was a little over 6 years. The issue with replacing just one is that the new battery will continue to charge because the old ones take longer to bring up to a full charge and will really shorten the life of the new battery. Low voltage can certainly cause the shuttering issue under load.
I ran a set of 9 year old Deka batteries a while ago.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=121424
Dragracer_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art View Post
I ran a set of 9 year old Deka batteries a while ago.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=121424
WOW! Most people in my club here in S. FL with the heat get about 4-5 years out of a set. I go around bragging that I get a little over 6 years. 9 is amazing
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
Hello, before replacing all 6 , 8 volt batteries on my 2000 CC DS I’d appreciate your opinion. Batteries are 8 years old, recent lack of power and “shuttering” with full acceleration. Battery pack at rest measures 51.2 and 51.8 after charging. Underway, pack measures high 40’s down to high 30’s up hill.
Hydrometer reading is “good”, 1275-1300 on all cells on 5/6 batteries, with one bad “water” reading in one cell of the sixth battery. Questions;
-is the “shuttering” under load symptomatic of a bad pack or could there be a separate issue?. And
-Would replacing the one battery be advisable?
Thank you,
Mike
Be thankful that you got 8 years and go buy new set of batteries. Put those hard working old f*rts out of their misery and enjoy the restorative power of a new set....or look at lithium.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
mdowney
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you all very much for your responses. Golf Cart Man, thanks for the explanation. Installing a new set of batteries this week.
Best, Mike
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I got almost 10 out of my US Batteries.... ;o)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car