lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2020, 02:54 AM   #1
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Unhappy Front-End Repair - Bearings and New Leafspring??

Left front tire was bumping and right tire suddenly toed out.

Jacked up cart and left tire had no play but right tire with play side-to-side. Pulled tires and hubs off and look what I found. Odd that left tire, which had no play, has a destroyed hub bearing. Ouch! Right hub bearing does not spin smoothly and spindle was leaking grease and I'm assuming it was coming from around the bushings.

Spindles are good without damage. They lay flat on my work bench. Control arms are good. Tie rods are good with no damage and ends move freely with no play. I see no bending in either clevis.

Decided to go ahead and replace other parts while cart is apart.
List includes all new bushings in front-end and new king pin assemblies.

Hubs look good and I would prefer to replace bearings rather than spend $120 on new hubs. I know they are not meant to be replaced. Does anyone know where I can purchase good quality bearings?? Is there a part number on the bearing that I will see when I press it out?

I have no idea how the front leafspring should look. Does it look like it needs to be replaced??

I have a Z-type lift on the front.

Thank you for any advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Bearings.jpg (429.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Front Leafspring.jpg (292.1 KB, 0 views)
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Front-End Repair - Bearings and New Leafspring??

Timken # for the front wheel bearings is 6204RS. Inner & outer for both sides are all the same.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Timken # for the front wheel bearings is 6204RS. Inner & outer for both sides are all the same.
Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!!!
Old 11-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

A little trick...
Leave the the bearings in the packaging, put them in the freezer overnight, take directly from the freezer to install, they'll practically drop right in
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Don’t forget to put the sleeves back in the middle when you replace the bearings.

They should knock right out with a drift. Tap the new ones in using a large socket to fit the outer bearing race.

Quality bearings are mighty expensive. Napa usually carries those, but their prices might be kinda high. I used to get them at Tractor supply for a decent price.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #6
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
A little trick...
Leave the the bearings in the packaging, put them in the freezer overnight, take directly from the freezer to install, they'll practically drop right in
I have heard about but never tried that. I will this time!! Thank you!!!
Old 11-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWave View Post
A little trick...
Just learned that replacing a countershaft sprocket seal on one of my motorcycles; slick!!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
Dlab
Gone Wild

Front spring looks fine. You can buy the whole hub assembly pretty cheap if your not pinching pennies.
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #9
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Don’t forget to put the sleeves back in the middle when you replace the bearings.

They should knock right out with a drift. Tap the new ones in using a large socket to fit the outer bearing race.

Quality bearings are mighty expensive. Napa usually carries those, but their prices might be kinda high. I used to get them at Tractor supply for a decent price.
I'll admit that I did this on the first ATV drum I worked on. Thank you for the reminder! I do have a drift and a old old socket that I use.. Hopefully it's the right size for these bearings.

Found the bearings at Motion Industries for about $20/each. I'll check other sources, too.

You're right that quality bearings are almost as much as buying the hub. I just hate receiving a OEM part that is not of the same quality as the original OEM part. This may not be the case with CC OEM hubs/parts but I just hate taking the chance if I don't have to. I guess I sound a bit paranoid.

Thank you for helping!!
Old 11-05-2020, 12:18 AM   #10
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlab View Post
Front spring looks fine. You can buy the whole hub assembly pretty cheap if your not pinching pennies.
Thanks so much, Dlab! I was doing more reading tonight and found a source that said the spring actually "flattens out" when it worn. I thought it would be more rounded and down at the end of its life.
Thank you for looking! I won't replace the spring.

See my reply to FairTax4Me about the bearings.

Appreciate your help!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car