lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default A-Arm Coilover Conversion

My AS 6" A-Arm Lift was delivered yesterday and while I was looking over everything I got a idea that got me thinking which turned into some searching.

My idea was to remove the leaf spring from the lift and replacing the factory shocks with coilovers. Today I did a search and actual find someone that did just that. His user name is Jseal. I was curious if anybody else has done this. If so I would like to get your feedback on it because im seriously thinking about ordering the coilovers for $40 and doing this while installing the lift kit.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coilover.jpg (125.0 KB, 0 views)
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Default Re: A-Arm Coilover Conversion

Tagged
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I ordered the coilovers so we shall see.

Wayne
Old 11-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
HeatWave
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
My AS 6" A-Arm Lift was delivered yesterday and while I was looking over everything I got a idea that got me thinking which turned into some searching.

My idea was to remove the leaf spring from the lift and replacing the factory shocks with coilovers. Today I did a search and actual find someone that did just that. His user name is Jseal. I was curious if anybody else has done this. If so I would like to get your feedback on it because im seriously thinking about ordering the coilovers for $40 and doing this while installing the lift kit.

Wayne
I'd be curious to hear what insights AllSports has to offer?
HeatWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I think using coil overs instead of a leaf spring is a great idea. It looks like it bolts right up, almost like it belongs there.

I do have one thought on the negative side though. Typically on a double a arm suspension the coil overs attach to the bottom a arm. There are several reasons for this, but one comes to mind in this case, strength. The lower a arm is typically the arm of the suspension that takes all the abuse. Look at how much larger and beefier it is compared to the upper. Attaching the coilover to the smaller less beefy suspension arm puts a lot of stress on that arm, and it wasn't designed for that. Most dual a arm suspensions are just that, "a arms", and this one is not. This suspension is more of a "j arm" style. The upper a arm is replaced by a strut, and sometimes the strut is shaped like the letter J.

The problem with using a coil over on the upper "strut" is that there is no gusseting on the shock mounting tabs and the strut is made quite small. In a good "J arm" suspension, the "J arm" is usually much larger in size and is engineered for strength. I'm not sure this is the case on this suspension.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just pointing out something that could be a major safety concern. If that upper strut arm breaks, bad things could happen.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

A little update!

Last night I tore the cart apart and started installing the front lift. I test fitted the coilovers and although they could work the sleeves in the bushings aren't long enough and the I.D. is to big. I brought the stock shocks and the coilovers to work to see what I could come up with and I think I found a very easy solution to the problem!

1/4" Pipe Nipple!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LDR-Indu...pple-309-14X5/

The O.D. of the nipple is the perfect size to fit into the bushing on the coilover. The I.D. is just a hair to small so a quick ream with a 5/16" drill bit should make it perfect!

Stand by for updates as things come together!

Wayne
Old 12-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well the new sleeves are made and installed into the coilovers.

When i get home ill pull the front leafs and get these installed and get everything else buttoned up. Since i only have a hour or so after work each day to mess with the cart it might be a few days before im complete finish but should be able to wrap the front up tonight. Ill throw the stock wheels back on the front before starting on the rear to see about driving it up my race ramps to see how the suspension articulates. Then ill see if a buddy down the street, can come by to see if his CCP with a Jakes A-Arm kit gets more or less flex than i do with the coilovers. The rear is going to take a little longer because ill be swapping the drums from side to side which involves pulling the axles.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bushings.jpg (267.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Coilovers.jpg (342.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Oh man, I hope this works. I'm drooling!
HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Curious how this worked out.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I hope this works out and gives a nice ride. While it should work geometrically speaking I am curious about the longevity of this method as the spring loads were designed to go through the lower strut. That being said the weak link is likely bending in the heim joint and the loading looks no worse on the bottom than the top. The other interesting thing will be how those loads transfer to the top of the coil overs. Yours has a two plate set up, I think mine has a couple welded tubes where the shock go, I think your set up would work better. Good luck!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car