lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
ragmop1
Not Yet Wild

Default I think I need new batteries

I have a 2000 ezgo that I bought from a golf car dealer about 5 years ago (about 2006). The batteries were fine, charged after every use, and the cart was running like a champ until last week. The cart is only used by my wife and myself to maintain and travel around our 5 acres and surrounding neighborhood. We live just outside of Chicago so it gets really cold in winter, however the cart is kept inside a heated garage at 60-70 degrees. After reading some posts on this forum, I think I messed up by parking the cart for the winter and leaving the charger on it. Although I've done this since owning the cart, this year I'm having problems. I checked the water level, and one cell in one battery was below the plates. I added dist. water and took it for a drive down to the road and back. Seemed OK, so I plugged in the charger and went inside and didn't think anything about it. I checked on it about 2 hours later and the batteries were boiling! I'm not sure what happened or what I did wrong (other than leaving it to charge ALL WINTER!!!), but I am assuming I'm looking at purchasing a new set of batteries. What would you guys recommend? What brand of batteries? I've read the battery sticky, and it has Trojans now, so I'd probably get the same unless something else was recommended. Any advice would be appreciated.
ragmop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: I think I need new batteries

5 years is a full life. Time to start looking around to see what is available in your area. Trojan is good and so is Crown.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
ragmop1
Not Yet Wild

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a quick response. Thankyou. Anybody have a dealer in the chicago area they really like? Price is something to consider, but service and knowledge are my main goals here.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
ragmop1
Not Yet Wild

I found a dealer who sells both Crown and Trojans. The Crown battery is 98.00 and the Trojan is 127.00. Scotty, you said Crown or Trojan. Do you think I'll get comparable life out of the crown battery? Saving 175.00 on a battery set is appealing, but not if I'm going to be buying another set in 2-3 years. I'm also wondering exactly who makes the crown brand.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is a great price on the Crown battery! They are normally the more pricey ones and have a longer life expectancy. What model # on the Crown?
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
ragmop1
Not Yet Wild

Boy, thats a good question. I just asked about trojans and they quoted the price, and then said they also have Crowns and gave me that price too. If the crown batteries are the same ah then I should go for them? As you can tell, I'm a novice at this battery stuff. I just don't want to be buying another set in 2 years.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In my research, Crown makes better batteries, they cost more and last longer. Maybe he is quoting a smaller battery. Lifespan of Batteries
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
ragmop1
Not Yet Wild

They're the CR-225 batteries. From what I can see on the spec chart, they have the same rating as Trojan 105's. I looked on the Crown web site and they have a warehouse not too far from me. Their price is 99.95. I figured I'd go there and get them so if there were ever any issues with them, I'd be dealing directly with the manufacturer, not a dealer.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would go with the Crown
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
ragmop1
Not Yet Wild

I'm picking them up tomorrow. Now I have to get to work on cleaning up the battery rack.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO