lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Fyrestorm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default wires and cables

Guess this would be a question for ole scottyb. In my 99 TXT all the wires and cables look pretty old. Being a series cart I believe I read that you will some some gains in power and/or torque just by changing the wires and cables. It currently has 6g battery cables. What do I need to change?
Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: wires and cables

Change ALL the 6g cables to 4g welding cable with soldered copper lugs. If the OEM cables are old, brittle and corroded, you will feel a difference in the cart. I sure did.

Scottyb's cables are first class and a great value.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Fyrestorm
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, I will look into it!!
Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
RGO
Not Yet Wild

Does it help to change the cables on a PDS system and if so do you change the cable to the motor and the contoller also
Thanks,
RGO
RGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes new cables do help deliver amperage to the motor. On a stock PDS cart, it has 6g from the battery pack to the controller and solenoid and 4g from the controller to the motor. You can replace the main + and - and the solenoid to controller cable and the battery pack cables with 4g for improved delivery up to 500 amps...
At 500 amps and above you will need 2g cables which means replacing the 2 motor cables as well.
Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
RGO
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scottyb
My cart is a 2005 with speed chip and completely stock as far as the motor and controller. I am replacing the batteries in a few weeks with Trojan 105's and want to get the most out the system. Do I need to replace all the cables as you stated in your reply to accomplish this?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGO View Post
Thanks Scottyb
My cart is a 2005 with speed chip and completely stock as far as the motor and controller. I am replacing the batteries in a few weeks with Trojan 105's and want to get the most out the system. Do I need to replace all the cables as you stated in your reply to accomplish this?
FWIW: My 2008 PDS had 4ga cables with open ended crimp on terminal lugs when I bought it.
After cleaning, some blue-green corrosion was still visible inside the open ended lugs, so I replaced all 10 high current carrying battery/solenoid/controller/motor cables with 2ga cables with copper, closed ended, silver-soldered lugs.

I noticed a definite increase in low-end torque, but no change in top speed since the PDS controller limits top speed (Actually, it limits motor rpm).
My top speed (measured via elapsed time over a measured distance after accelerating to sustained speed on level ground) is 18.2mph with a speed chip and a tire diameter of 17.3"

If you go to 2ga cable, you have to replace all cables or you still have a 4ga cable system. (Ampacity of the entire Battery/Solenoid/Controller/Motor circuit is limited by the smallest gauge cable)

When you get your new batteries, remember to fully charge them prior to first use. (Even if dealer assures you they are fully charged, CHARGE THEM!!!!)
Then break them in properly to get full storage capacity (run time)
In fact, go to ScottyB's website and read everything he has about the care and feeding of batteries before they arrive.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
RGO
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: wires and cables

Thanks, Scottyb and Johnnieb for the Info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO