lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
BillW70
Not Yet Wild

Default What year is my EZGO?

I could use some help from an EZGO expert. I was given this golf cart (which needs some work) and NO ONE knows what year it is. My father-in-law bought it a few years ago at a garage sale. The serial number plate is missing of course. It should be on the passenger side of the center console but unfortunately isn't. I have taken a few pics, if there is an angle that I should be taking it from please let me know and I will post more pics.

I think it is a Marathon but do not have a clue as to the year... knowing the year would be helpful when buying replacement parts.

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (131.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.JPG (105.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo4.JPG (132.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo5.JPG (99.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo6.JPG (131.0 KB, 10 views)
BillW70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

Default Re: What year is my EZGO?

Try to find the manufacturing code or the serial number. look here. If you can find the manufacturing code it will tell the date.
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html
looks like an 80's model.
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
BillW70
Not Yet Wild

From the few pics I saw on google images I agree, somewhere in the 80s.

Unfortunately the serial plate is missing. That is why I was hoping someone would recognize the year from the pictures.

By the way it is electric not gas, I forgot to mention that. 6 batteries.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW.

Marathons were made from '75 to '93 and all looked about the same, but there were differences in the drive system.

Some had a resistor speed control, others had an electronic speed control.
Some had motors perpendicular to the differential, other were sidewinders.

Also, the layout of the steering mechanism changed, but I'm not sure if that was in the Marathon era.

Take some picture of what is under the seat.

Attached is a picture of a Marathon with resistor type speed control and sidewinder motor. The resistor box is the metal thing with four terminals on top between the two sets of batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kernal's marathon battery comp.JPG (171.3 KB, 20 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Grandpas Buggy
Not Yet Wild

Is there a identification serial number stamped of the frame under the seat on the passenger side? My serial number is not on the ezgo listings because it was sold to another manufacturer.
Grandpas Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Cliffbeach491
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 1987 marathon yours looks just like it but on mine the EZ GO name plate is on the drivers side of the cart just above the tire. yours is right in the middle so that kinda narrows it down a bit. Did you check the frame and the rear end axle also since they tend to put more than one serial number on them
Cliffbeach491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
BillW70
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas Buggy View Post
Is there a identification serial number stamped of the frame under the seat on the passenger side? My serial number is not on the ezgo listings because it was sold to another manufacturer.
I have looked for additional serial numbers but did not find any. I will look again thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
BillW70
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffbeach491 View Post
I have a 1987 marathon yours looks just like it but on mine the EZ GO name plate is on the drivers side of the cart just above the tire. yours is right in the middle so that kinda narrows it down a bit. Did you check the frame and the rear end axle also since they tend to put more than one serial number on them
I am planning to get it up on car ramps this weekend so I can see under it better. The frame has a lot of surface rust so it may be hard to find unless I know an area to concentrate on. I will look over the rear axle, it is fairly clean and should be visible if it is there.

My main issue with the golf cart is, it worked fine when my father-in-law gave it to me. When a friend hauled it home they said they saw sparks under it when loading it into a pickup truck. I am guessing it bottomed out and the accelerator contacts touched creating the spark. Now it will barely move. So before I started throwing money at it I wanted to try to narrow down the year.

I appreciate everyones help I have gotten so far. Thank You!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
BillW70
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Welcome to BGW.

Marathons were made from '75 to '93 and all looked about the same, but there were differences in the drive system.

Some had a resistor speed control, others had an electronic speed control.
Some had motors perpendicular to the differential, other were sidewinders.

Also, the layout of the steering mechanism changed, but I'm not sure if that was in the Marathon era.

Take some picture of what is under the seat.

Attached is a picture of a Marathon with resistor type speed control and sidewinder motor. The resistor box is the metal thing with four terminals on top between the two sets of batteries.
Hopefully you can see something from these pics. I can zoom out some if that is helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0247.jpg (80.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0249.jpg (70.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0245.jpg (70.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0246.jpg (59.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0248.jpg (83.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The motor being perpendicular to the read axle ought to narrow the age down some. Maybe someone familiar with Marathon history will chime in.

I don't see an electronic speed controller and the bundle of heavy cables at the rear of the motor (cart's rear) makes me think it is a resistor type speed control.
There is a diagram for a resistor cart in the Stickies that might help when you dig into it.

Looks like all the cable and wire connections need some TLC.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
year marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO