lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sound right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltf1991 View Post
So......... Is there a flow chart I can follow to make sure everything is in PERFECT working order?

Pleaseeeee
Since you said you thought you had the wiring under control, I assume you're asking for a flowchart for your controller. I can't speak to what settings you need, as I'm still in the process of installing my new AXE 4855 from ScottyB, but here's how I talked to it:

For the controller, I simply hooked it up to an old AT computer switch mode power supply (PSU), that I converted to allow a variety of voltages. After measuring no voltage between the two, I bonded the ground of this PSU to the ground of my old laptop, to be sure they were at the same potential. This wouldn't have been necessary from a desktop, but I was unsure about a laptop, since their PSUs are outside the case, and only 18 VDC goes to the laptop. If you use any other type of power supply, you might want to measure voltage from its "-" to your USB to DB9 cable ground, then bond them, if there's none.

Then I powered up the controller, waited for the flashy LED to turn solid green, then started the software, and they talked right away. My laptop has a 9 pin serial communications port (DB9), so I didn't have to worry about drivers for a USB to serial cable, which you shouldn't have any problems with, based on what you've said. I have a mess of cables like others posted, so I grabbed the first one I could find and used a gender bender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AXE4855.jpg (191.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg cables.jpg (226.7 KB, 13 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Since you said you thought you had the wiring under control, I assume you're asking for a flowchart for your controller. I can't speak to what settings you need, as I'm still in the process of installing my new AXE 4855 from ScottyB, but here's how I talked to it:

For the controller, I simply hooked it up to an old AT computer switch mode power supply (PSU), that I converted to allow a variety of voltages. After measuring no voltage between the two, I bonded the ground of this PSU to the ground of my old laptop, to be sure they were at the same potential. This wouldn't have been necessary from a desktop, but I was unsure about a laptop, since their PSUs are outside the case, and only 18 VDC goes to the laptop. If you use any other type of power supply, you might want to measure voltage from its "-" to your USB to DB9 cable ground, then bond them, if there's none.

Then I powered up the controller, waited for the flashy LED to turn solid green, then started the software, and they talked right away. My laptop has a 9 pin serial communications port (DB9), so I didn't have to worry about drivers for a USB to serial cable, which you shouldn't have any problems with, based on what you've said. I have a mess of cables like others posted, so I grabbed the first one I could find and used a gender bender.

So you're saying you used a "Tranny" cable?

Ya get all that Colten? Shouldn't be a problem for a master computer builder.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh ya. That's cake I am not trippin about programming controller at all. That's easy. I have already connected with my computer on the other one. Just want to make sure all cables on the cart itself are working.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

18v is fine so I plug 2 9v together in series and use that or there is an old 12v under the desk with a couple of clip leads at the ready. Just wanted to note that you do not need a green light to program. You must have a lighted LED but a fault code is typical for some models. The DCX Colton has is one of the those models. It also requires 3 pins to be powered up (+) before it is 'on' as per Alltrax web site info...... but again this is no real challenge for a computer builder and I'm probably boring all of you computer builders with my post & pictures but, it's a slow morning here at BGW ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3583.jpg (128.5 KB, 17 views)
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #25
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the detailed picture Scotty!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No problem, it's all info from the alltrax website.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good good good. Do you have the voltage flow chart handy? The one you follow through the molex and all of that to make sure all switches are good and power is wheee it should and should not be?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
So you're saying you used a "Tranny" cable?
Yep. Unlike people, simple hardware is all that's required, so it's easily reversible.

But what about DB9 to DB25!

And I guess USB to Serial is inter-species?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #29
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just finished my makeshift 18v molex power harness so I can fire it up tomorrow
Old 11-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #30
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

And I guess USB to Serial is inter-species?

Yes, it is........
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO