lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
archer161
Not Yet Wild

Default Is it worth go 8-6volts or 6-8volts batteries??

I am going to change my cart over from 36 volts to 48 volts. Its a 2007 Ezgo TXT PDS I have been told that 8-6 volts are better then 6-8 volts. Ok, why is it better?? I am going to have to add about 150 lbs of weight to my cart for the 8-6 volts next to no weight gain for the 6-8volt batteries. Does the 8-6volts make it worth the extra weight and still give me longer run time. The next question is will I have any power difference between the two setups???
archer161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is it worth go 8-6volts or 6-8volts batteries??

I don't think you would see a power difference. (same voltage)

I will need new batteries sometime in the future and am still unsure if I will go with 6- 8volts like I now have, or change to 8-6 volts.

I wouldn't think the 150 lbs. would affect you that much as long as you are on level ground, but my question is that I live in a hilly area in Alabama, and wonder if the xtra batteries would be worth it to me.
Someone knowledgeable should chime in soon...

Last edited by kdeerman; 01-05-2012 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

you will get longer run time with 8 sixes, and that is what i have. that being said, next time i think i will do the 6 eights since we don't drive too far. i would have to change out my 36v solenoid tho.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'll answer the last question first.
You'll get the same Torque/Speed with 6-8V as you will with 8-6V, but you won't get it for as long.
Also, under extreme load conditions, you can draw more amps from 8-6V than you can from 6-8V. In fact, Trojan doesn't even rate their 8V batteries at the same discharge rate for capacity in minutes as they do their 6V batteries. (IE: 8v is rated at 56A while 6V is rated at 75A, which ought to tell you something)

The Trojan T-105 is the de facto standard all other batteries are compared to and using Kilowatt hours stored at the 100 hour rate as a basis, the T-875 has about the same as the T-105 (1.51 vs 1.50), identical case sizes and similar weight (63# vs 62#).

Even though your cart will draw more than 25A when running, Trojan does rate both batteries in minutes @ 25A, so a relative caparison in run-time can be made.
T-105 = 447 Minutes @ 25A
T-875 = 295 Minutes @ 25A (34% less)
Note: Due to the Peukert Effect, the difference between the T-875 and T-105 would probably be even greater @ 75A, which is closer to the average current draw for a stock golf cart.

Also, both batteries are rated in Ah capacities at the 20 Hr rate
T-105 = 225 Ah @ C20
T-875 = 170 Ah @ C20 (25% less)

Adding two batteries will roughly equate to adding a passenger, which will reduce the gains form going with 8-6V batteries, but only when accelerating or pulling steep hills, and probable won't greatly reduce the gain in run-time. However, this is offset somewhat by the fact a 48V system is more efficient than a 36V system.

If you can accept more performance with less run-time than you'd get with a stock 36v system, 6-8V might be the best thing since sliced bread for you.
If you wanted more performance and and with the same, or more, run time than a stock 36V system, go with 8-6V.

Other things to consider are overall cost and w2here to put two additional batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
sofar-sogood
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Other things to consider are overall cost and w2here to put two additional batteries.

Where can you put the other 2 6 volt batts?
sofar-sogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofar-sogood View Post

Where can you put the other 2 6 volt batts?
Some guys have managed to stuff them under the seat in the wells in front of the tires, while others put them in the bag well in back and rig up some sort of environmental cover to keep them out of the weather.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For the archives = from my pm box:

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer161
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer161
I found a post that you answer before which is as follows:Actual run Time?
not possible to say the actual drive time. When we dealers test batteries, we use a discharge machine that takes the batteries from a full charge down to the shutdown voltage of the cart (for example, on a 36 volt system, the cart is considered in "shut down" at 32.5 volts on the pack under load). The length of time it takes do do this, coupled with the ambient temperature, gives us a rough idea of the life of the battery pack (as well as points out any bad batteries in the pack). As a general rule of thumb, any discharge time above 80 minutes is considered fair, above 90 is considered good, and above 100 is considered very good. A brand new set, properly charged and broken in should discharge at approximately 110 minutes.

Scotty says actual run time will be greatly effected by vehicle weight and tire size, by electronic component size and condition, and by environment.

Having said all that a stock golf cart was designed to run 110 to 90 minutes spread out over short periods of alternating driving and inactivity on a moderately rolling terrain with solid footing.

Scotty writes;
8/6v definitely run longer. 6v definitely live longer.
a single 6v battery holds more amperage than 8v to begin with.
30% is a conservative expectation.
8/6v will supply 40% more amperage than 6/8v batteries. Technically the cart should run 30% longer on the 8/6v minus the losses from carrying the extra 130 pounds.

Ok, My question is what is better 8-6volts or 6-8 volts?? You pointed out that it had approx. 30% longer run time with 8-6volts, but they are much heavier as you said. So does that really add up much since i would being adding 144 lbs of battery, which in a small person riding in my cart?? Then for the cost of two extra batteries is it worth it??

Scotty writes:
There is some loss with with the added weight, but those losses decrease at cruising speed so it depends upon terrain and driving pattern.

This carts main job is going to be getting me ad hunting buddy's in and out of the woods this next winter. This is hauling two to four guys that are healthy TN. boys and hopes of a deer on the back of it. The ground has rolling hills being not very long hills, but pretty good angle to them..
You should go with the 8/6v. That's a lot of load and that means high amperage use per mile.

Scottyb writes;
In my off road electric I used eight T145 as they have the highest amperage storage capacity.
I never checked how long or far it runs but it runs noticeably longer than any other cart.... I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5177web.jpg (106.0 KB, 40 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys!
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
archer161
Not Yet Wild

Thinks for the picture that helped a lot!! Is this a EZGO cart?? So there is enuff room to mount the controler under the frame after the lift kit goes on right??? Do i have to worry about water getting in the controler or any other parts if I put like you did yours???
archer161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes Ezgo TXT

The controller in the picture is mounted in a factory location used by Club Car for more than 15 yrs. without problems.
But, you have to remember that even the best resin potted controllers, like the New generation Alltrax Blue in the picture, will fail if put under water or hosed off. Electric carts are not made for creek crossings above the floor.

The cart pictured has an modified F&R but the same could be accomplished with a reversing contactor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO