lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #21
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Simple Mods I can do for some more speed

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php

www.Cartsunlimited.net
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Got pulled away by non-cart reality.

Here is a close-up of the label on the controller cover. How to put controller into diagnostic mode is at bottom.
The first (and only if everything is Okay) set of beeps tells you which chip the controller thinks is installed.

When calculating speeds using tire height and final drive ratio be aware the tire size printed on tires or advertised is only approximate.
You have to measure the mounted height to be reasonably accurate, or measure the rolling circumference to be more exact.
For example, my stock tires are labeled 18X8.5-8, but the mounted height is only 17.4" and that 0.6" is a 3% error.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 8 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You have to measure the mounted height to be reasonably accurate, or measure the rolling circumference to be more exact.
For example, my stock tires are labeled 18X8.5-8, but the mounted height is only 17.4" and that 0.6" is a 3% error.
I may be puttin' words in your mouth, so correct me if there's a better way.

Here's what I'm going to do for a circumference measurement (which I have to place in my speedo):

Fully inflate all 4 tires, with me sitting in the drivers side, have my wife measure from the ground to the center-line of the wheel. In my case, I'm measuring the front driver's side wheel (speedo sensor). For your case, you'll want to measure the rear wheels - since the rear wheels make you go.

The radius on the bottom half of the wheel is smaller than the sides or top, so if that's used for calculating the circumference, it should be the most accurate.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
.............The radius on the bottom half of the wheel is smaller than the sides or top, so if that's used for calculating the circumference, it should be the most accurate.
Any physical measurement is better than using the size stamped on the sidewall.

What you say about the radius being shorter from ground up is true, due to the cart and driver's weight flatting the tire on the bottom, but I'm not sure if that deviation from a true circle effects the rolling circumference. Perhaps the average of vertical and horizontal diameters might be more accurate? I don't know and I haven't had enough coffee to figure it out mathematically.
In fact, I can't even figure out how to figure that one out mathematically.

Put a piece of masking tape on the sidewall. Mark the pavement when the tape is pointing to the ground, drive cart until the tape is again point at ground and make another mark.
Measure between two marks for true rolling circumference.

For even more accuracy, and can be done by one person.
Draw a line across the tread width with slow drying paint, drive cart backwards for about 10 feet. Measure between leading edges of two paint transfers on ground.
(If you are measuring rear wheels, drive forward. You don't want to run over the paint transfers with another tire and mess them up.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
leapingbuddha
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I like running my cart without a windshield. It probably does go a bit faster? Anyways it feels like it. Ever try moving a 4 x 8 piece of plywood in a 25 MPH wind. I think there must be some gain without the resistance of the windshield.
leapingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapingbuddha View Post
I like running my cart without a windshield. It probably does go a bit faster? Anyways it feels like it. Ever try moving a 4 x 8 piece of plywood in a 25 MPH wind. I think there must be some gain without the resistance of the windshield.
I agree
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #27
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I only picked up 2 mph with a 400 amp controller upgrade, but my torque increase/hill climbing ability has imporved greatly.

My neighbor runs his pds with 23's topless with no windshield...he's faster than me, even with my upgraded controller (I have top and windshield)
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO