lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
cirelli
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Resistor cart runs wide open all the time

I have a 1988 Marathon with the resistor type speed control. I have had it about 12 years & never really had a problem. The other day I was riding it & it started burning the wires where they are bolted to the wiper board contacts.
This is where the nightmare started. I was going to clean the cables & tighten them to the contacts, seemed simple enough, however after breaking 2 of the contacts & stripping the thread on a third one I knew I was in trouble.
Next I marked all the wiring & proceeded to remove the wiper board. Bought me a new one, cleaned up the spring loaded contact, put on a new 36 volt solenoid and micro switch.
When I re-installed the wiper board & wired it back up & tried to go, it would not do anything. A little looking around & I find a wire that is not hooked up & I do not remember where it goes? Being the smart old fart I am, I just hooked it up to the positive side of the 1st battery. Well the cart would go forward, but no reverse. I change the wires around & get reverse with no forward. On one try I did get both forward & reverse but the key switch would not turn off. This cart is driving me nuts! After working on it all day I quit & go to bed.
Next day I do some research on the internet & found this wonderful forum with real wiring diagrams & lots of info. I believe my FNR switch needs attention, so I rebuilt it. Installed it, wired up correctly according to the diagrams & with the cart up on jackstands, it seemed to work perfectly.
Next surprise is when I let down on the ground & took it for a ride, it only has top speed I mean WFO. No matter which contact the accelerator is on, the motor is running full tilt. Now I remove & disassemble the resistor type speed control, nothing wrong with it, no open coils, nothing burned or melted & continuity through all 3 coils.
Now I am at a complete loss as what to do. I need some help from you smarter guys. Everything appears OK & everything works as it should except for the wheelies on start up & spinning the tires in reverse.
Any help would be appreciated, I don't have a clue from here?
cirelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
cirelli
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Resistor cart runs wide open all the time

Here are a couple of quick pictures.
cart 001.jpg
cart 002.jpg
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Welcome to BGW

Hate to say it but your going to have to go back to the diagram because something is wired wrong. Its nearly impossible to tell you what wire has been miswired over the internet. Heres a link to the service parts manual for that cart. http://bennettgolfcars.ca/manuals/ez...440%20X444.pdf

and a diagram
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
cirelli
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Welcome to BGW

Hate to say it but your going to have to go back to the diagram because something is wired wrong.
Thank you Mr roady89 for your reply. I am wired exactly like the diagram you posted. But the diagram does not show where the cable attached to the solenoid on the same post as the moveable contact goes to. When I removed mine I marked it as #4. In searching thru various wiring diagrams I have seen it connected to contact 1 in a diagram
zzzzezgoseedswitchui5.png

& contact 4 in a different diagram.
post-51-1168109613.jpg

Could having that cable on the wrong post cause the cart to run wide open no matter where the accelerator is? I have it attached to contact #4. Seems to me the only time that contact would make is at full throttle & all the other contacts must go thru the resistor.

Can you tell me where the #53 cable from the solenoid is supposed to go to?

Thanks again
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
cirelli
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well being an old man & not thinking as well as you younger guys, I may have figured it out. The #53 cable when attached to the #4 contact bypasses the resistor & sends full current to the motor when the solenoid is energized.

If it were attached to #1 contact, it would force the current thru the resistor.

Maybe I marked it wrong when I took it all apart? As soon as it is daylight here, I will go out & move the # 53 cable to the #1 contact. If that fixes it, I'm gonna feel really stupid, but I sure hope it does.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a schematic of a resistor cart.
It shows the single cable on one side of the main solenoid contacts going to the F/R switch and the Two cables on the other side going to the Wiper and Contact #1 on the accelerator assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Schematic.JPG (87.4 KB, 9 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
cirelli
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, got it fixed now. It was the #53 cable connected to the wrong contact. I don't know why I never realized I was bypassing the resistor the way it was wired. Just trying to follow what I had marked which was wrong evidently. Also I was trying to follow this wiring diagram below which I now believe is not for my cart.
post-51-1168109613.jpg
Thanks again Mr. roady89 & Mr. JohnnieB for your replies.

JohnnieB, that is the diagram I needed! I will copy it & put it in my file.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #8
banjocs316
Not Yet Wild

Hello, I'm having the same trouble with my cart. When I hook the number one wire up to the solenoid it runs wide open. If I take that wire off the car runs well but sparks shoot out of the number one button on the speed control board. What did you do to fix your cart? Thanks 1 million! Chris
banjocs316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO