lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default JohnnieB interstate battery chart *best batteries*

JohnnieB posted a chart showing the "grades" of interstate batteries in another post in which he also stated that the T-105 is the gold standard. What about the T-605? I guess my real question is if I need to replace my 6v batts, on a 36v cart what are the best batteries? (all else being stock on a 2003 and 2004 ezgo txt, series)

Thanks all!

Wiltz
TheWiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: JohnnieB interstate battery chart *best batteries*

I'm no battery expert, but in general, the bigger the battery, the longer it will last. Local market pricing will have to be determined to see if bigger is better. It all depends on how you will use the buggy, and whether the larger amp-hour batteries are needed or affordable in your case.

In general, if you can keep from running your batteries below a certain threshold - say 60% - they will last WAY longer. JohnnyB has posted charts showing theoretical discharge rates vs. total charge cycles. It shows that the higher you keep them charged (or the max you discharge them before recharging), the longer they last.

So to answer your question, you have to consider the controller, tire diameter, gear ratio, average drive time, weight of cart with passengers, amount of hill climbing, etc.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

T-605 is an entry level battery. Doesn't have the amp hour capacity of a 105.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I have a doctors appointment this AM, so this will be short, but I might expand on it later.

T-105 = 225AH @ 20Hr rate.
T-605 = 210AH @ 20Hr rate.

The higher the AH @ 20Hr rate, the longer the run-time, so a higher average SoC will be maintained for the same driving conditions. Therefore, a longer life expectancy should be realized.

Question becomes, what is the point of diminishing return?
In other words, Is the higher AH battery worth the additional cost in the long run?
Which in turn, depends on your local market conditions.

Bottom line, you'll either be trying to get the most bang for the buck or the greatest performance irrespective of overall cost.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We don't sell the 605 because sooner or later somebody wants full size performance out of a scaled down battery ... when this happens the battery takes a hit, repeat this and over time you shorten the useful life of the battery. Shorten the useful life of the battery and everybody forgets they paid less!
Bigger is better. The Crown CR225 is still the best 6v golf cart battery pound for pound.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm back!!!

The Trojan T-105 may have been the "Gold Standard" for GC batteries a while back, but other manufactures have either improved their quality or Trojan has lowered theirs, therefore I use the term "De Facto" standard, or at least I should have if I didn't.

Whatever the case, a 225AH battery weighing about 62 pounds is the stock 6V deep cycle battery that Golf Carts typically come with and effectively establishes a baseline for 6V GC battery comparisons.

You look hard enough you can find Flooded Lead-Acid GC batteries from about 180AH (measured at the 20Hr Rate) up to about 260AH.

Since manufacturers might tend to "fudge" a little on their products 20 Hr AH rating, battery weight may be the most accurate yardstick when comparing between different brands, but the AH @ 20Hr works well within the same brand name.

Whatever the brand, you will get longest run-time and least slowing on inclines with the heaviest batteries, which also have the highest AH rating.

Using Trojan's published data, a T-605 is a 210AH battery and a T-145 is a 260AH battery.
If your routine daily usage was 105AH the T-605 would be discharged to 50% daily and have the life expectancy of about 1287 charge cycles or 3.5 years.
If you had installed T-145 batteries, they would have only been discharged to 60% SoC and would have lasted about 1569 charge cycles, or about 4.2 years.

Money-wise, is the extra 8 to 9 months the T-145 batteries will last, worth the additional initial cost of the bigger battery?
Plus you get a bit longer run time and a little more oomph going uphill.

---------------

I believe the major battery manufacturers (Listed alphabetically below) all have more than one grade of 6V GC batteries and some have as many as five or more.

Crown
Deka (East Penn)
Exide
Trojan
US Battery

I believe Interstate, NAPA and Sam's Club (and other store brand) batteries are made by one or more of the above, but I may be wrong.

Another cost factor is how far you have to go to get the batteries. Transportation costs have to be include in the battery price.

I would love to install a set of Crown CR-245 batteries in my cart, but I would have to drive over 300 miles round-trip to get them and I can get Interstate 2400's locally or T-145's with about a 50 mile round-trip, so I'm pretty sure I'll install one of the latter two. Whatever they are, they will most likely be the heaviest batteries available in that brand.

I don't make extremely long trips or drive my cart very hard, but I do want my batteries to last forever.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

You Da Man JohnnyB, very good perspective on the differences in batteries and how they might be used.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sam's sells Duracells that look good in specs.

Duracell® Golf Car Battery - Group Size EGC2

20 amp hour rate:230
5 amp hour rate:174
6 amp hour rate:178
BCI Group Size:GC2
Minutes at 25 amps:448
Minutes at 75 amps:120
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishb8 View Post

These are made by East Penn/Dekka. I have 8 in my cart! Hope they last!
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishb8 View Post

Sam's Club also sell Duracell GC batteies with these specs.

20 amp hour rate:215
5 amp hour rate:157
6 amp hour rate:156
Contents:ONE EACH
Minutes at 25 amps:395
Minutes at 75 amps:105
Volts:6

Neither of them match Deka's specs exactly. Makes me wonder if the are seconds or something along those lines.

Here is a little something I put together to help me in my quest for the most bang for the buck.

It's neither complete nor comprehensive, but I'm working on it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Comparisons.pdf (22.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO