lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
TGJR
Gone Wild

Default Small gap with spindle causing clunking noise after installing Jake's lift.

I have the Jake's 5" drop axle lift on my 2004 EZGO and since installing I have noticed some clunking noises when riding over rough terrain. It took a while to narrow it down but it is coming from my passenger side spindle. There's about a 1/16" gap between the spindle and the part it mounts to on the axle. And basically it travels up and down when riding causing a clunking noise. I tried to shim it but the shims are too thin and flimsy to wedge them in. I've tried wrenching it down but it's too big of a gap to make up.

Normally I wouldn't be so worried about a few noises but it is very noticeable when creeping through the woods. I have decided to just replace the defective part except I don't know if my 8-year-old spindle is worn down or the lift is slightly out of tolerance. Anyone had any experience with something like this? Especially with the Jake's lift?
TGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Small gap with spindle causing clunking noise after installing Jake's lift.

My stock sitting '96 is that way on both sides. Local guy had no explanation.....will be watching here...
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
TGJR
Gone Wild

Default Re: Small gap with spindle causing clunking noise after installing Jake's lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
My stock sitting '96 is that way on both sides. Local guy had no explanation.....will be watching here...
I bought the cart and immediately tore it down to do my hunting cart build. So I have no idea if the cart in stock form had this issue too. It sure is annoying me though.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Pablob
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

TGJR
Where the spindle attaches to the axle there should be a spacer on the top side make sure that's there, it looks like a thick washer.
Pablob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Almost every one I have ever lifted has had that same problem. I usually just tighten the king pin to take the slack out.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablob View Post
TGJR
Where the spindle attaches to the axle there should be a spacer on the top side make sure that's there, it looks like a thick washer.
Everything is in there that is supposed to be. Trying to track down an answer whether or not it is in need of a replacement kingpin and/or bushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowslayer View Post
Almost every one I have ever lifted has had that same problem. I usually just tighten the king pin to take the slack out.
How do you tighten it? I put a cheater pipe on it and got it really tight. Pretty much as far as I felt comfortable before worrying about stripping out the threads. And it didn't make a bit of difference.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Pablob
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

maybe the spindles are a little thinner try using thin washers in it to take up the space I would put them in the top where the other spacer is, it is just trial and error, maybe use a feeler gauge to see what the clearance is. I bought an after market lift kit and I got lucky and didn't have this problem but I was sure wondering when I put it together.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
maybe the spindles are a little thinner try using thin washers in it to take up the space I would put them in the top where the other spacer is, it is just trial and error, maybe use a feeler gauge to see what the clearance is. I bought an after market lift kit and I got lucky and didn't have this problem but I was sure wondering when I put it together.
I can get .045 into the gap with the feeler gauge. I can't find washers thin enough and the shims I have found aren't perfect so I have to double them up. But at that thickness they are too thin and flimsy to get them in.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Pablob
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

with that little of a gap I doubt it is coming from the king pin area it could be your shocks
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
TGJR
Gone Wild

Quote:
with that little of a gap I doubt it is coming from the king pin area it could be your shocks
You can feel it coming right from the spindle if someone pulls the front end of the cart up by the brush guard. I've even jacked the front end up a little bit and you can slide the feeler gauge in on top of the spindle when the weight is taken off of it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO