lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default How to add a converter to 85 marathon

Hi everyone... I am new to this and have no idea what i am doiing. lol I just bought a golf cart to fix up and sell it is a 85 marathon. I added a stereo and could not get any power. So i thought maybe i needed a converter. I just got the converter and it has four wires 2 pos 2 neg. I assume that one pos goes to battery 1 in the pack and the neg goes to battery 6 in the pack but where the heck do the other pos and neg go? please help with pics or detailed instuctions.:
GrannyGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to add a converter to 85 marathon

So I can't find the edit icon. More information about the cart. I bought it running. It charges and holds a charge for several days. It aready had lights, speakers and a little pc board that you could plug into for music all working fine. I replaced the speakers and added a new stereo system.

This is where my trouble begins. There are two wires in the dash that were used to power the pc ipod board so I wired the stereo to those using the manufactures instuctions. I have no power to the new stereo. I know the batteries are 6 volt and the stereo requires 12v. After some reading I thought I should use a 36v to 12v dc to dc converter. Got the converter but not sure how to wire it. It came without intructions. I have looked at the sticky's but none of them look like my cart. The converter has four wires, one yellow, one red and 2 black 2 are pos 2 are neg. The wires are only about 6" long so I am going to have to add additional wire and connections? can someone help me with the wiring please.

More info: I added water to all the batteries after cleaning and charging, bought a spray and cleaned all the connections, replaced 2 battery cables that were being held on just by the amount of corrosion on them. They looked like they had two inches of hair on them. The cart is ok on level and down hills but on a slight incline it slowes to a crawl. I am in the process of chargeing each battery with a trickle charger to make sure that is not the issue with the uphill speed. Any help with this project would be WELCOME!

Last edited by GrannyGoneWild; 09-12-2012 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: Adding more details
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I suggest you contact the person/company who you bought the converter from regarding the converter wiring. My guess would be one set of black/red is for 36 volts in, and the other set is for 12 volts out.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Post Re: How to add a converter to 85 marathon

Thank you for your response. I like it, now I just need to know how, where to wire up the in and out?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: How to add a converter to 85 marathon

Ok, so did more searching and may understand how to hook uo the converter. Looks like 2 wires go to the ignition and 2 to the 1st pos and 2nd neg batteries. Thoughts??

During my reading i noticed that grounding to the frame is a no no! So there is a ground to the frame in the battery area on the drivers side have no idea what it is, Also, when I installed the stereo it said to ground to the frame? So what so I do with the stereo ground? I will try and post pics of this stuff.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Question How do I add a converter to 85 marathon

Please help!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the response I got from the seller.

"Sorry,but we don't have the installation diagram or instructions,but i explain what the wires represent:Red 36V+ in, Black 36V- in ,Yellow 12+ out , Black 12- out."

Can someone explain where the 36 V and the 12 V are in the 85 marthon?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Bud Man
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

36 Volt is your battery pack voltage those two wires on the converter are what you hook to the carts battery pack, the 12 volt output from the converter is where you hook up your accesories.

PS: Do not ground anything to the frame.
Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

do you have any pictures of the set up. Is any one battery ok as the 36v pack or does it need to be a specific battery? Or is it the 1st and last battery to cover the entire 36v. How do I know which is the first and last?

Tags
85 marathon, dc to dc 36v to 12v, power converter, stereo instalation
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO