lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Marathon on 26s?

I know there probably isnt a kit for this, but how much lift would it take to run a 26" tire on a Marathon? Does it require widening the stance to prevent rubbing? I have a feeling that this isnt the last cart Im gonna build, and I was kinda curious as to what would be required to fit the 26s on my Marathon.
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon on 26s?

My guess is you will need 7-9 inches of lift. The offset of the rim will determine if you need spacers or not.
The biggest question I have is how are you going to turn them with any authority...... and once you get them rolling - how are you going to stop. LOL

Seriously, both questions need a little consideration.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a basic lift on my 91 Marathon I got off ebay years ago...I think it is either 3 or 4 inches. It is a block set up front and rear. I run 22's and could easily go 23's without issue.

Frankly without some kind of serious suspension upgrade like lower control arms and links I would be afraid to lift a Marathon that high. The suspension just isnt made for it and I have snapped one of my front springs once already at the hunting lease.

On the plus side with the right offset rims I don't think rubbing would be a major issue with enough lift.

I don't know what you are planning but a new motor, controller and probably 48v would be needed with that much tire. The stock set up is just not enough, both motor and controller are weak if you ask me, and I upgraded quickly just to handle my 22's.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
tyhuck
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
My guess is you will need 7-9 inches of lift. The offset of the rim will determine if you need spacers or not.
The biggest question I have is how are you going to turn them with any authority...... and once you get them rolling - how are you going to stop. LOL

Seriously, both questions need a little consideration.

Oh I know. Im not concidering this for my current cart. It was just a thought I had because I was day dreaming about making my own Franken-cart some day after I get some stuff paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab46501 View Post
I have a basic lift on my 91 Marathon I got off ebay years ago...I think it is either 3 or 4 inches. It is a block set up front and rear. I run 22's and could easily go 23's without issue.

Frankly without some kind of serious suspension upgrade like lower control arms and links I would be afraid to lift a Marathon that high. The suspension just isnt made for it and I have snapped one of my front springs once already at the hunting lease.

On the plus side with the right offset rims I don't think rubbing would be a major issue with enough lift.

I don't know what you are planning but a new motor, controller and probably 48v would be needed with that much tire. The stock set up is just not enough, both motor and controller are weak if you ask me, and I upgraded quickly just to handle my 22's.

Sorta same as above. It all started with looking at carts that Ive seen on here. That got me to dreaming and Ive kinda been toying with the idea of making a "crew cab" cart with a custom frame, a front suspension robbed from a four wheeler, and possibly double rear axels. I know it was completely impracticle (sp?) but it would be a blast to build, IF I could make it work.

The tire idea came when I was having to find some 22" tires that can handle the weight of my current cart. I bought 2 but they only have a 340lb rating @7psi. So while I was looking, I found some 26s and some 27s and just got to wondering what it would take to make them fit. I only mentioned Marathons because they seem to be the cheapest ones you can find around here. I guess since they are such an old model, people just have non-running carts laying around, which would be the prime project vehicle.
tyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I get what you are saying. If you are totally going custom and fabbing most if it yourself then it might be worth looking into.

FYI even though Marathon carts are cheaper the parts for them are not as easy to find. No one makes fender flares and I looked for almost two years before I found a replacement rear axle for mine that wasn't sky high in price.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO