lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 88 Ez go has voltage on the frame

Hello, I'm a new poster but I've been lurking/learning for awhile. My question is what would cause voltage on the frame of my 88 resistor cart? My radio shorted when I went to slide it into the dash, thanks for any input.
88ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Hoffy02
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88 Ez go has voltage on the frame

I know very little about carts... Getting my first project Friday. BUT, with what I know about electricity, it sounds like you have a short somewhere. If when you say "voltage on the frame" you mean you can actually measure voltage at any point on the frame, well that would mean you actually have a complete circuit through the frame.

If it were me, I would start checking wire condition, beginning with the resistors..
Hoffy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

How do you know your radio shorted while you were inserting it? Did it fry, spark, just quit working? Is your stereo fused from the batteries?
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88ezrider View Post
Hello, I'm a new poster but I've been lurking/learning for awhile. My question is what would cause voltage on the frame of my 88 resistor cart? My radio shorted when I went to slide it into the dash, thanks for any input.
Your cart is a senior citizen in cart years and has very likely served many masters, so most anything is possible.

One of the more common ways frames get connected to the battery pack is the use of automotive type lighting fixtures and accessories.
Cart stuff should have two wire power circuits with the case electrically isolated from both wires.

If the radio you were installing met that criteria, you wouldn't have discovered that your cart frame is in some way connected to the battery pack.

There could be a wire that intentionally connect frame to battery pack.
There could be a wire with worn through insulation touching the body/frame.
There could be overflowed electrolyte. (This probably won't conduct enough to cause a spark, but can be measured with a DVM)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok guys thanks for the input, the radio did ark to the sleeve that it locks into and does have a fuse in the back of it. It should not have a skinned wire due to the fact I have completely rewired it from diagrams I found on this site, but anything can happen so ill check it out. JohnnieB it wus a pioneer c d player I ddisnt know there were certain radios for golf carts, elaborate please. And as far as electrolyte leaking I do wash it down every 2 to 3 weeks with bakin soda to keep corrosion down. I do have 2 lights that came from Walmart for tail lights, could they be feeding back to the frame somehow. Sorry for the long post but I have managed to figure out everything up to this point but this has me scratching my head.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just for my knowledge, I have found 3 different resistor cart diagrams and all three are different. The only difference I can see is 2 having 2 micros and one of them show 3 micros. My cart was wired where 4 speed left wiper went to the resistors and had 2 connections at resistor 4th speed the other went to the motor. Now it from wiper to resistor and from wiper to FnR, the cart works just little quirks like the rev buzzer will beep when you hit accelerator I thought it was supposed to sound as long as it wus in rev. I guess I'm asking if I used the correct diagram for my cart it has 2 micros on FnR nadir was the one in the stickies, thanks for the help guys the radio problem started when I had to rewire the activation circuit or either when I changed to 4 gauge cables idk cause I had to take the motor apart too. Undoubtedly someone had wired motor internally incorrectly.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Some car audio systems have a grounded chassis, but most carts have plastic dashboards, so it doesn't matter.
Marine grade audio stuff is less likely to have a grounded chassis and is more likely the be less susceptible to rain issues.

In the overall scheme of things, having a grounded frame/body on cart is a electrical safety issue rather than an operational issue.
Basically, the battery pack is an arc-welder looking for a ground to weld something together. IE: A wrench to the frame.

The taillights could very well be how the frame is connected to battery pack.
Some of the two wire models still have a grounded chassis.

-------------------

Something I forgot when listing possibilities of how the frame was being connected to the battery pack is the carbon dust build up in motor, but it sounds like you've already had the motor apart.

------------------
Your cart has three microswitches, two on F/R assembly and one on throttle assembly? (As shown of attached wiring diagram.)

If so, with key on and F/R in R, the beeper should sound until the pedal is pushed.
Sorta sounds like the lead from the buzzer is connected to wrong terminal on MS-3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo1rt4.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Make sure your antenna is also isolated from the frame. If you mounted it onto anything metal, it will ground through the outside coax. Make sure it's mounted on a plastic bracket!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
88ezrider
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I finally got a new voltmeter and this is what I found. If I put neg lead on neg post of the first battery, where charger receptacle hooks up and touch my dash which is aluminum I get nothing. If I put neg lead on the next neg terminal in series it reads - 6. Some volts and increases on every neg terminal in the progression. Now that is with neg lead on neg terminals neg voltage and if I switch the leads around pos lead on neg terminal and neg lead on dash it does exactly the same just doesn't show neg voltage. Ok this is my tale on that, seems within reason to me it is working rite because every battery is tied together neg to pos. the first would be the only true neg then every subsequent neg would have the accumulative voltage from the series behind it on the neg post, I think. Am I even close on my idea of how this works and I really hope all this makes since to you guys.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Are you sure your battery pack and charger connections are wired correctly?

The reason I ask is because the battery pack and charger wiring on the schematic I post is different than the battery pack and charger wiring on the other resistor cart schematics I have.
(The interconnecting cable on one goes between the front inside batteries on one and the rear batteries on the other)

AND, it is electrically imposable to get a negative voltage reading on a voltmeter if the voltmeter's negative lead is, in fact, attached to the most negative point in a series electrical circuit.

You are correct that the voltages measured within the battery pack gets sequentially higher as you move the positive tests lead to the next battery in the series chain.

----------------
Setting that aside, the problem is that a voltage can be measured between any terminal on the battery pack and the metal of the frame, body or dash.

As previously state, it isn't an operation issue. The cart will most likely run normally with the chassis connected to the battery pack.
However, the likelihood of arc-welding a tool between a battery terminal and the chassis is greatly increased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor ezgo1rt4.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Wiring Diagram.JPG (89.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO