lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
crash test dummy

Default Re: voltage reducer vs. extra 12v battery.. pros/cons

yea gel cells cut weight but can not use regular 12v charger
the charger has to have the gel setting on it
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I went with a reducer and not sure about ScottyB but GolfCartKing has them. I went this route due to my decision to convert from 4 12 volt batteries to 6 8 volt so I already had the extra weight and capacity, plus I still only have to plug in the one charger and done. I am real happy with my decision and I have lights, amplifier instead of traditional radio, 12volt accessory plug, horn, and brake lights as well. Just make sure you get the 30 amp 300watt inverter. I am real happy with my setup and glad I don't have to deal with the hassle of an odd battery.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[B"]yea gel cells cut weight but can not use regular 12v charger
the charger has to have the gel setting on it"[/B]

Not sure if I agree. My trickle charger is and has been working just fine. In fact, It's been keeping the gel cel in my bike good for about 4 years now.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
trickle charger

"Properly cared for, a gel cell battery can provide many years of reliable service. Failure to use a charging method specifically suited to a gel cell battery's internal chemistry will dramatically shorten its useful life"

Charging Basics

There are several methods for charging gel cell batteries, however, constant voltage charging is the best way. For this type of charging, a fixed, regulated voltage source is used to charge the battery. Special attention must be paid to the exact charging voltage and the initial charging current.

There are two modes for constant voltage charging: fast charging and float charging. Smart chargers, which are available commercially, automatically switch between these two modes. In addition, the most sophisticated chargers will monitor the ambient temperature and adjust the charging parameters accordingly.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I've been kicking around this same issue and have more of less decided on a Gel-Cell battery.

The first thing to consider is what are your 12V power needs (Amps), and future plans for additional 12V accessories, if any.

Incandescent lights and high power audio amps draw a lot of amps, so if you have either or both you'll need a higher amp output capability from either an auxiliary battery or DC-DC converter.

My lighting will be LEDs, I don't inflict my taste in music on others and I'll be running a GPS most the time, plus a Laptop occasionally, so my 12V amp requirements are modest and a relatively small Gel-Cell will work.

The easiest way I know of for remembering to charge an auxiliary battery is install a 12V cigarette light type outlet in the vicinity of the cart's charge receptacle and tie-wrap (or duct-tape ) a matching cigarette lighter type plug from the 12V charger to the main charger cable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
Pats Fan Willy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 48V to 12V converter/reducer hooked up to a Fuse block assembly. In my opinion this is the way to go. I also have the memory wire hooked up to one of the batteries with no problems at all. The memory of a cd player requires very little to work.
Pats Fan Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
Oneunder
Getting Wild
Club Car

Another vote for the reducer. I just ran it through the key and now my radio works just like my car. I don't have memory for my radio so that was never a consideration.
Oneunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is the charger I use. I will give the credit for keeping me and my batteries straight.

Battery Tender 021-0156 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger True Gel Cell Model : Amazon.com : Automotive Battery Tender 021-0156 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger True Gel Cell Model : Amazon.com : Automotive

For the cost of this charger, which can be used on any common battery type, I think it's worth the investment.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i use this one for my extra battery , it water proof and i tiewrapped to the handle of my power drive 2 charger. i got mine from ebay a few buck cheaper

Battery Tender 800 Waterproof 12V Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive Battery Tender 800 Waterproof 12V Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
crash test dummy

i use solar for my extra battery but have this for back up

Schumacher Electric Schumacher SC-600A 6/4/2 Amp 12 Volt SpeedCharge High Frequency Battery Charger

http://www.sears.com/schumacher-sc-6...&blockType=G20

going to get this this week

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/stanley...equestid=53090
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO