lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default ALOT of suspension questions.

I have a bunch of suspension questions about my cart and since im new to this i thought i would put it out there any see what more experianced people feel. I also thought it could help out new/other people who have qestions about this stuff. Just for you to know I have a 2000 EZGO TXT 36 volt.

1) I have been told to install the HD spings from ezgo (set 4) to help with the weight from the new back seat and for when i have passangers. (its a little soft now when you step up and sit on it) Is that really the best thing to do? or is there something else I should do instead. I have got my answer on this, thank you to everyone who has helped.

2) When, if ever, should i replace the shocks? If i do replace the shocks, should i replace them with factory shocks or get HD shocks with springs from an aftermarket company?

3)Should I replace the bushings on the shocks if you do not replace the shocks?I have got my answer on this, thank you to everyone who has helped.

4) If im going to put a lift kit on my cart, should i replace a certin part/piece that wears out/should be replaced when i do that?

Thank you in advance for your help. Im sorry to ask so many questions, im just new and would like to be well informed before i put out a bunch of money.
v UNO v is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: ALOT of suspension questions.

We have at least one suspension expert on the list, so I'm just telling you what I did.

On my 1998 TXT with two extra batteries and a rear seat, I would scrape a few driveways with four people and going way too fast. I contacted shopezygo.com and went with their recommendation of 4 leaves in back and two up front. Even with only me driving, I'm quite happy with the ride. Some have complained about theirs being too stiff, but maybe they didn't have eight batteries and a rear seat. FWIW, I weigh 175 and my wife's 118 (which I would think would make a stiff set of springs feel worse). Be sure to buy new bushings.

As to shocks, they simply dampen the bounce when a bump is hit. The old school way of testing car shocks used to be jump up and down to get the front (then rear) bouncing, then count how many times it continues to bounce before stopping. Mine doesn't bounce excessively, so I left mine alone. Again, I'm no expert.

Can't help on the other questions.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine kinda of bounces when you push down on the rear but i was told by a local shop that it is the springs that are what is bad, not the shocks. I just didnt know if i should replace the shocks too, or instead of the sprince, since my cart is so old.

Im just not sure if the springs alone would fix my problem.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
crash test dummy

go with the hd springs and stock shocks will due til you do the lift, then get the best you can find to stop the body roll with the lift .. remember the higher you lift the higher the center of gravity is
always replace the bushings when you do the springs and shocks

when its time for your lift you will need wheels that are offset or bigger
Old 09-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 2000 TXT also but being a "shuttle" model it came from the factory with the rear seat, long roof etc.----and--- heavy duty springs. (4 leaf in the rear). Keeping in mind that it is a golf cart, the ride is fine but noticeably smoother with adults on the back. The heavy springs keep the cart from sagging even with large adults back there and probably minimize handling degradation though I can't prove it. The shocks seem to be fine and this cart is 13 years old and has LOTS of miles on it. I would be hesitant to replace them unless they were actually broken, leaking or otherwise proven to be worn out.

There are lots of carts here and when loaded up you can tell the ones without enhanced rear suspensions although the EZGOs seem to handle this better than some other brands.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
then get the best you can find to stop the body roll with the lift

Im a little confused. Get the best what to stop the body roll?

Im looking to put a 5" All Sports lift with 23 inch tires and 12 inch rims.

What do you suggest?

kernal - Thank you. I will just upgrade the springs for the weight as i am not a small person and neither are my friends.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
crash test dummy

shocks
Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So I should replace the shocks when I lift it?

Should I do both front and back?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
crash test dummy

yes i would
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO