lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default This has got to be an '86 common problem. I hope.

Hello everyone.
I have not one but two 1986 club cars with the same symptoms. One cart I have been working on for a week, the other is a friends which just started with the issue which is when put in reverse it goes for a short move the slows to nothing with accel all the way down. I was told by a mechanic who owns his own shop that the problem was either bad connections or batteries. So I cleaned all contacts on motor, F/R switch,solenoids and batteries. All batteries load tested and are good. Still the same problem Peddle box taken apart and has 5 clicks (possible M/S bad even if it clicks?) Only 4 clicks on the solenoids, not fast so I believe the high speed solenoid is bad on my cart but the other has high speed. The main issue here is the reverse slow to nothing. I read on one thread about this guy with the same problem. He tried everything to no avail then one day decided to take apart the motor and found it full of carbon so he cleaned it all out and the problem went away. Really want that to be a fix of last resort. Any one with same issue ?
runester is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
fleagt
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: This has got to be an '86 common problem. I hope.

I have an 86 Club Car and I currently don't have any issues with reverse. I really don't have any suggestions on how to proceed. Sorry and GL. I will be following this thread in case my CC starts to act up.
fleagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Reverse uses only 3 of the batteries (factory wired). Check your battery voltages while trying to move in reverse. You may have a bad battery (s). Check the stickys at the top of the Club Car section for your wiring diagram. It will show you which batteries are used for reverse. You can connect your reverse + lead to B+ to allow full current flow while in reverse. If you have kids I wouldn't do this, but I find it very useful on the carts I drive! Lets you back up onto a trailer, for instance, which the cart would not do on 3 batteries!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks. I will check the voltage but all batteries are good
Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A battery can have a good static voltage and still fail under a load. You can check all of them, but I'd check your 3 that reverse runs from for sure.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I've got 22 and 44 volts at the F/R switch. Shouldn't it be 18 and 36 ? All batteries were load tested good.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you just charged it, yes, the voltage will be that high. You need to wait 12hrs or so before the surface charge goes down.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
runester
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Guess I am going to take apart the peddle box and check each micro switch even though I hear 5 clicks.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I dont think it will be a problem with the micro switches in the peddle box because you said forward is fine. I think I remember on my 85 car that there was also a microswitch on the FnR assembly. Did you already check that one?
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf cart man View Post
I dont think it will be a problem with the micro switches in the peddle box because you said forward is fine. I think I remember on my 85 car that there was also a microswitch on the FnR assembly. Did you already check that one?
86 has one ms on the F&R
Same switch for For. and Rev.

Try this - remove the F&R cable fromt the bottom of the R&R to the middle of the battery pack and connect it to the other bottom F&R lug so it loops the 2 bottom F&R studs together....... this gives full power in both directions.
If it works well this way you can fashion a heavy copper buss bar between the 2 terminals.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car