lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez-go hot!

Be sure to remove any rings or watches. I had a neighbor, and there have been several posts, where rings came in contact with another post while tightening one, and got "welded" onto their fingers.

I generally use sockets on a nut-driver, but often use a wrench for the two hold down nuts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
In this situation, i would be suspecting a bad cable. Weak crimp at the end where it bolts to battery terminal? What type of cable ends do you have? Post a pic of the problem terminal, or all batteries? Some cheaper cable designs are prone to bad connections inside the cable itself. I feel you have to really go crazy to ruin a battery terminal with over-torquing if you are just using a regular wrench (6-8" long wrench). I like to use a short box-end "combo wrench" (1/2 on one side, 9/16 on other side), it is short enough that over torque is somewhat unlikely, and short enough that contacting another battery terminal is also unlikely. They are usually angled in a good direction to avoid the "Trojan multi-vent knuckle destroyer" too. Some of you know what that is .
Yep, had that issue before! Some of those cheap China wrenches work very well for battery connections. You can get real short ones with steep angles to avoid scraped knuckles. Since battery connections aren't real tight, you won't snap off the wrench (also resulting in scraped knuckles)!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The studs used for battery terminals are Stainless Steel hex bolts with the hex head embedded in the lead battery post. Lead is a soft metal that is malleable, so too much torque will twist the hex head in the Lead post, permanently reshaping the Lead and loosing some of the electrical contact area between the SS and Lead, so the terminal heats up more when there is high current flow through it.

The torque specs for the embedded hex bolt type battery terminals found on most golf cart batteries in in the 95-105 Inch-Pound range (7.9-8.8 Foot-Pounds), which isn't very much and may be easy to exceed using a regular box-end or open-end wrench.

When I had batteries with the embedded hex head bolt type terminals, I used a screwdriver handle 1/4 drive and socket, or a stubby 1/4 drive ratchet with a rubber coated handle, so I wasn't as likely to over tighten.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Diddo on the rubber handle stubby ratchets (1/4 or 3/8ths) - wrist tight is accepted to be 15- 18 ft pds depending. It's real easy to over tighten ( damage) battery studs.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO