lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #11
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Rear End Noise

Or glued to the end of here?
StumpNocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Don't glue anything because you're gonna end up sending that back. That's not a guide ring motor.

The splines in the coupler are worn out, and that's not replaceable. Well, it is, but its not easy, and even if you did replace it, there is probably enough wear on the splines of the input shaft that it would still rattle even with a new coupler.

You need a centering kit. But last I heard they've been on backorder for months.

I've tried some various other "fixes" for worn out couplers, and the best one I came up with pretty much makes it a major undertaking to pull the motor again. 3M Windo-weld urethane. Fills the gaps and once it dries it's almost solid, but allows enough squish to even out any vibration. Problem is you have to get it to a few hundred degrees to get it to melt when you want to take it apart.

Silicone Ultra RTV works as well, except it wont come apart even with heat.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #13
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I'm leaning away from a fix that makes it harder to work on down the road. I'll definitely be upgrading the motor and controller within a year or 2 so that'snot an option for me. Any other site sponsors that have the centering kit available?
Old 07-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Is there a lot of wear on the splines on the input shaft? If not then you may be able to get by with a new motor bumper. Which is just a little piece of rubber that fits down into the coupler and puts some tension on the motor shaft.
I'm not sure if this will fit all motors, but they used to include one with the centering kits.
If yours had one it's probably smooshed down in the coupler and covered in old spline grease.

Also just to note, I don't want anyone to think David would steer you wrong. If he says the 95 should have a guide ring, it should, and probably did. David Knows his stuff when it comes to Club Car.
But remember the cart is 26 years old, and motors don't last forever. Entirely possible the motor has been replaced at some point in the past.
Or it could be a model produced around when that change was made to the solid coupler motor. The guide ring motors were only used for a few years.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #15
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yessir, and I think I read on here somewhere about there being something up with the 95's. As is they are like split year manufacturing of sorts where some are one way while the others are different, even in that same year.

On the centering ring kit, from the few calls I just made, they aren't even available to Club Car until August 13th[emoji15][emoji15]!

Would it be detrimental to just ride with it how it is until then? Or should I try the bumper fix while I have it apart? The splines look ok to me, snapped a couple of pics this morning, but they aren't the best. What do you think?
Old 07-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #16
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

See if that lump of stuff down in the bottom of the coupler is sorta squishy. Looks like an old bumper that you should be able to peel out of there and replace with a new one. It might help for a little while, and those are pretty cheap.

There looks to me to be pretty decent wear on the input splines. Looks like there may even be a groove right at the end of where the coupler would normally sit.
And those coupler splines definitely have some wear. Ultimately the only thing that will really make it right again is the centering kit. With the wear to the input splines on the shaft, you will likely need a centering kit even with a new motor.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #17
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

So, I'm going to go ahead and order(backorder) a centering kit. There was definitely a bumper in there previously. I made a 1/8" thick 1/2" wide circular plug of viton and installed it in there. Put it all back together and she's riding quiet as a mouse again. I swear it feels a tad bit slower but that's probably all in my head. I'll check with the speed app over the weekend be cause I left my phone home on the test ride. Thanks for all the help man, I really appreciate it!
Old 07-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #18
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like Revolution removed the centering kit from their website over the last 3 days... that's strange...

Maybe he will chime in and give an explanation.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #19
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

So... I think I made things worse... was riding and notice some noise coming from the rear again last week. Put the new wheels on an went riding yesterday and the noise was getting louder just a bit still not real loud or terrible sounding. So I parked it because I knew my actual motor bumper replacement would be in today. That's where it gets worse... I remove the motor after snapping off a motor bolt burping the impact on instead of off like a rookie(that was enough for me, no more impact on the cart except for tires for me!) Get the broken bolt out with the extractor kit and pluck out the old rubber bumper and my added piece with a grout remover pick. Thinking how nice it was that it all went so smoothly... I cleaned everything up and put it back together just for the cart to make worse grinding and rubbing noises than ever before... now I'm like wtf did I do... think I ruined a bearing or something on the input shaft? I'm going to pull the motor again and jack up the cart and see if the sound is still there with no motor and me rotating the tires... wish me luck...
Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 PM   #20
StumpNocker
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thought it was going so well... little did I know
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car