lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
Twangin
Not Yet Wild

Default New batteries- Which of these options?

I have a (new to me) 1988 36V Club Car DS in which the current batteries (previous owner claimed 3 yes old) will fully charge (39.4V for the whole bank) but VERY quickly (within 3 minutes of driving) lose almost all power. It struggles on even the smallest of inclines, slowing all the way down to around 5 or so mph full throttle. I checked after a 10 minute drive and the voltage dropped to 32.5V.

So I’m assuming the batteries were not cared for very well and I need to replace them. Which of the following would be recommended? Budget is around $815 or less. Stock cart, no difficult terrain- just neighborhood and campground cruising. 2 passengers, and likely stepping up to 20” tires soon (if any of that helps in picking one for recommendation). Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5D958FB8-B465-49A6-A1BC-062BAB197A66.jpg (276.2 KB, 0 views)
Twangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: New batteries- Which of these options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangin View Post
I have a (new to me) 1988 36V Club Car DS in which the current batteries (previous owner claimed 3 yes old) will fully charge (39.4V for the whole bank) but VERY quickly (within 3 minutes of driving) lose almost all power. It struggles on even the smallest of inclines, slowing all the way down to around 5 or so mph full throttle. I checked after a 10 minute drive and the voltage dropped to 32.5V.

So I’m assuming the batteries were not cared for very well and I need to replace them. Which of the following would be recommended? Budget is around $815 or less. Stock cart, no difficult terrain- just neighborhood and campground cruising. 2 passengers, and likely stepping up to 20” tires soon (if any of that helps in picking one for recommendation). Thanks!
Check the electrolyte level in the batteries and add distilled water to bring the level to 1/2" above the plates but below the level eye. It sounds like they are low according to your symptoms.

Then do a full charge and let the charger shut off normally. Check the voltage after an hour off the charger before you drive it. See if the voltage drops during that time. Then drive it and see if any improvement.

If nothing improves, shop around for batteries. The prices shown on your chart are very high but maybe normal for your area. Do not get Marine batteries. They are not satisfactory for golf cart operation. Try Sam's Club for Duracell GC2. They are around $89.00 each with core. They will do the job for you at a very good price.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
Twangin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Check the electrolyte level in the batteries and add distilled water to bring the level to 1/2" above the plates but below the level eye. It sounds like they are low according to your symptoms.

Then do a full charge and let the charger shut off normally. Check the voltage after an hour off the charger before you drive it. See if the voltage drops during that time. Then drive it and see if any improvement.

If nothing improves, shop around for batteries. The prices shown on your chart are very high but maybe normal for your area. Do not get Marine batteries. They are not satisfactory for golf cart operation. Try Sam's Club for Duracell GC2. They are around $89.00 each with core. They will do the job for you at a very good price.
Will look into those Duracell ones at sams club. I checked the water levels as soon as I bought it- water levels are good.. 1/4” or more above the plates.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Will look into those Duracell ones at sams club. I checked the water levels as soon as I bought it- water levels are good.. 1/4” or more above the plates.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #5
Twangin
Not Yet Wild

With regard to the amp hour rating (215, 230, 235, etc.), what is the actual difference one would notice in something like the 215 ah versus 235 ah?
Old 07-24-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
With regard to the amp hour rating (215, 230, 235, etc.), what is the actual difference one would notice in something like the 215 ah versus 235 ah?
Higher ah equals more run time. The EGC2 batteries are 230 ah and the GC2 are 215 ah. Depending on your usage, you'll have to decide if you want to spend $35.00 more each for more runtime or save some money for less runtime. For the use you mentioned, the 215's will be fine.

Your probably going to convert to lithium when the cart gets into your blood!
Old 07-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
Twangin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
Higher ah equals more run time. The EGC2 batteries are 230 ah and the GC2 are 215 ah. Depending on your usage, you'll have to decide if you want to spend $35.00 more each for more runtime or save some money for less runtime. For the use you mentioned, the 215's will be fine.

Your probably going to convert to lithium when the cart gets into your blood!
Exactly what I wanted to know- appreciate it!
Old 07-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Higher AH also means greater discharge capacity, so less voltage sag when under load.
Generally 170AH is normal for a 8v golf cart battery.
210AH is about normal for a 6v battery.
Higher capacity batteries will be more expensive, but how high you need/want to go really depends what you want to do with the cart.
Honestly if it were me, I'd plan on replacing them with 8v batteries, and upgrade the drive system to 48v. Better power, better efficiency, and better options for upgrades later on, even though you'll have to upgrade some parts now to make the cart work on 48v.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
Twangin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Higher AH also means greater discharge capacity, so less voltage sag when under load.
Generally 170AH is normal for a 8v golf cart battery.
210AH is about normal for a 6v battery.
Higher capacity batteries will be more expensive, but how high you need/want to go really depends what you want to do with the cart.
Honestly if it were me, I'd plan on replacing them with 8v batteries, and upgrade the drive system to 48v. Better power, better efficiency, and better options for upgrades later on, even though you'll have to upgrade some parts now to make the cart work on 48v.
Ok got it, that makes sense. I definitely want to eventually convert to 48V but not quite ready to take on the project of replacing the other components, just want to get it going solidly for now. Mainly because when I convert to 48V I plan to also convert all the old school components over to solid state at the same time, hence the decision to wait a while on all that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car