lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #1
nick731
Getting Wild

Default in need of help! Cart now dead due to my error...

hey guys, thanks in advance for your help! Today I installed a 48v to 12v inverter. Got the headlights running, the AUX lights running and the turn signal kit running.

Installed the power for the inverter on the switched side of the key on/off so only power when key was in ON position.

Then came the radio. I installed it and everything was working. the only thing I had left was the constant memory power. with out even thinking i attached it to the non switched side of the key switch which of course in this case is 48volt!

I got a quick flash and now nothing on the cart works at all. No reverse sounds, no moving , no more lights .

I am not getting any voltage readings at the switch on either side.

Would you please be able to provide some guidance on how I can correct this?

is it possible I need a OBC reset? something else to look for?

Thanks so much! my kids love using this everyday so i got to get it going asap =)

2013 precedent club car
nick731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: in need of help! Cart now dead due to my error...

There is an in-line fuse in the harness by the controller. With any luck that's all that's wrong.

Easiest access to the controller is from underneath if you can get the cart up on jack stands high enough to get under it. If not, then you get to pull out the two middle batteries and pull the controller panel forward. It won't go very far because there are wires from the controller to the motor, so don't go yanking on it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
nick731
Getting Wild

Thank you FairTax! The 15amp fuse back there is indeed blown.

I assume best course of action now it to replace fuse, get everything back together and cross our fingers that everything works ands the fuse did its job of protecting everything...?

I will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
There is an in-line fuse in the harness by the controller. With any luck that's all that's wrong.

Easiest access to the controller is from underneath if you can get the cart up on jack stands high enough to get under it. If not, then you get to pull out the two middle batteries and pull the controller panel forward. It won't go very far because there are wires from the controller to the motor, so don't go yanking on it.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:12 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Replace it, yes.
Double check all of your wiring and make sure no other wires are hooked up where they shouldn't be before hooking the battery pack back up.

The only thing I would expect to not work is the radio. 48v going to that, probably let some angry pixies do the magic smoke dance in there.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
nick731
Getting Wild

Haha we shall see, I'll grab some fuses tonight. One thing i noticed is one of the wires was disconnected from the tow switch when I opened up the panel. I assume it just got pulled off while opening it up but thought I'd mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Replace it, yes.
Double check all of your wiring and make sure no other wires are hooked up where they shouldn't be before hooking the battery pack back up.

The only thing I would expect to not work is the radio. 48v going to that, probably let some angry pixies do the magic smoke dance in there.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:43 PM   #6
nick731
Getting Wild

ok we are back up and running after replacing that fuse! thank you so much FairTax4me! I would not have known where to start, you certainly saved the day thank you for your help!

even the radio is alive again lol
Old 07-25-2021, 03:43 AM   #7
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since your problem was resolved I hope I’m not hijacking your thread but. . .

Where did you get the 12v constant power to keep the memory settings on the radio. I suspect the inverter in only powered with the cart on?
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post

Where did you get the 12v constant power to keep the memory settings on the radio. I suspect the inverter in only powered with the cart on?
On my converter, the 12V converter (not inverter) power to the loads is turned on and off by key switch voltage. However the converter has 48 volts from the pack + and - constantly. This allows the constant 12V for radio memory.
truetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
nick731
Getting Wild

Truetex has a great suggestion if your converter (oops i called it inverter lol) has that. In my case i had to run an additional converter for constant power from non switched side for constant and run the 12 v plus switched wire to the converter that is running on the switched side current. so have have a switched converter and a non switched converter to draw from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post

Old 07-26-2021, 05:40 PM   #10
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick731 View Post
Truetex has a great suggestion if your converter (oops i called it inverter lol) has that. In my case i had to run an additional converter for constant power from non switched side for constant and run the 12 v plus switched wire to the converter that is running on the switched side current. so have have a switched converter and a non switched converter to draw from.
Sorry for using the wrong terminology.

My converter only gets power when the key is on. I hate to install a second converter only to retain memory presets. I am looking at Marine radios, some of which do not require a constant +12 v.
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car