lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
kadeyoung6
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 upgrade

Just inherited a '96 G16 electric and it is pretty slow. It was my grandfather's who passed on and gave it to me. I do not know if or when the last time the batteries were replaced(guessing that is what is causing the problem), however the cart is in PERFECT condition as well as the batteries(no corroding what so ever, they look brand new). Could there be any other problems? If I were to have to replace them (currently U.S 2200 batteries) what do I need to do to upgrade to 48V batteries. Do I need to change the speed control, motor, anything else? I am looking to slowly upgrade to a street use cart with as much speed as I can get without loosing too much torque. VERY new to carting and will get some pics up of the progress as it goes. Thanks
kadeyoung6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: G16 upgrade

To do a 48 volt upgrade you should only need to upgrade the controller, charger and of coarse your batteries. Either add batts or buy 8 volt batts. 48 volts will give you a nice boost in power. I would do a 4 gauge cable upgrade while your doing it but its not mandatory. I would also get a nice H/D 48 volt solenoid to be safe.

If you opt for a controller upgrade Alltrax has computer programmable units. Dont let that fool you into buying one...most people set it and forget it.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
kadeyoung6
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Roady! My cart runs fine for now, just slow. I am on somewhat of a budget so will be upgrading whatever I can afford. Will the stock motor work if I upgrade to 48V?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Yes it will be fine....until you get tired of it. Which take long once the bug hits.

Sometimes you can get decent finds on used 48 controllers on ebay. Someone may have upgraded their controller.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
kadeyoung6
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What is the best performance(as far as mph and torque) you can get out of 36V batteries? Also what are best bang for your buck controllers and motors for 36V batteries?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

IMO the best bang for the buck without having to buy new batts and a controller would be an EMP motor. Give them a call and tell them what you have and what you want and he can re-work your motor for a reasonable price. Ask for Andrea...be sure and tell them BGW sent you.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
kadeyoung6
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Will do! Thanks and sorry for all the stupid questions...I think I need to replace my batteries anyway but think I am going to keep it 36V to stay away from HAVING to replace charger, controllers, exc... Would like to get new batteries and when I can afford it, controller and motor. Pics will be up soon and ill post my progress. Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadeyoung6 View Post
Will do! Thanks and sorry for all the stupid questions...I think I need to replace my batteries anyway but think I am going to keep it 36V to stay away from HAVING to replace charger, controllers, exc... Would like to get new batteries and when I can afford it, controller and motor. Pics will be up soon and ill post my progress. Thanks
There are no stupid questions around here...Ask away. Without buying all that other stuff an EMP motor will definately be the best bang for the buck. You could get the 2 speed option and have the best of both worlds. Be sure and post the results when/if you get a motor.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
There are no stupid questions around here...Ask away. Without buying all that other stuff an EMP motor will definately be the best bang for the buck. You could get the 2 speed option and have the best of both worlds. Be sure and post the results when/if you get a motor.
Roady is dead on!!!!! that emp will have that cart hummin!!!
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha