lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #51
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 TXT 295cc - Tried EVERYTHING - still backfiring and no power!!!

I sort of doubt Stonekn is going to answer being his last activity was 05-06-2013 03:08 PM

Maybe someone else has the trick on this problem. It shows its face a lot on these Robbins engines.
I will post what I run into last week that almost fooled me.

I was working on a 1999 Ezgo with a 9hp Robbins. I installed new plugs, rebuilt carb, fuel filter, air filter . The cart ran great. Would accelerate when pedal was pushed like new money :) after I completed. He said the cart had been sluggish before I did the work.

He calls me and tells me the cart never ran that good since he bought it.
Now fast forward three days. He calls me and said it died on him. He got it to my shop and battery was dead. I charged the batter and checked it. It was good. I connected my volt meter to it and it would go to 14.5 volts and hold.

I tried to see how it ran and it would not take the gas. Shoot and pop out the carb when pushing the pedal while in neutral. It was not doing this earlier in the week after I turned it. I went home thinking what could have happened.

The next morning I put the battery back on charge to make dang sure it was fully charged all the time wondering what made the battery go dead. After an hour and half of full charge I started it up and boom, it took gas as soon as I hit pedal. No shooting back.

Again I connect my Volt meter to it and this time it would go to 14.5 volts and as soon as it hit top RPM it would kick back to 12 volts.

I installed a new voltage regulator I had in stock and that did the trick. It worked like it is supposed to. I even put old one back on and it started same thing of going to 14.5 volts and fall back quick to 12 volts as soon as it hit top RPM's.

This regulator was bad. I missed it the first time because I never thought to connect a volt meter to it. I was only tuning the engine and didn't even think about connecting a meter to battery to see if it was charging correct.

This cart is back like new. I am assuming the battery voltage was low causing the sluggish engine.. I know the regulator was the reason the battery went dead. I know it was running bad until I put the battery on charge. As soon as I would remove battery charger it would start running bad again. The 1.5 hour of charge got it back to where it was supposed to be. The voltage regulator got it to stay that way.

This one almost got me. The regulator was working at one time when I checked it the night before I went home for the day. The next morning it was not. I kept the cart in my shop for several days to make sure the problem was 100 % repaired. It is. Tom
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2018, 04:04 AM   #52
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

edit. not relevant, previous post covered it for me.

OK Trig. Happy now.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #53
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

What are you talking about ?
edit. not relevent . By the way. Here we spell that relevant.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #54
matt1382
Not Yet Wild

If anyone is looking for a possible answer to this, I had something similar happen this week. Got in a non running 95 with the 295 engine. Put in a new coil, battery, oil change and air filter. Waiting on a new fuel pump so started it up to see if it would run and it would backfire through the carb at low RPM. This was accompanied with a hesitation. Tried adjusting the linkage every which way and it didn't help. So I took a chance on a $15 ebay carburetor with new gaskets. Runs perfect now, so I'm thinking it was an air leak in the carb gaskets. I'm getting to the point nowadays I would almost rather just replace a carb than even bother cleaning one. It's cheap and much faster.
matt1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:25 PM   #55
rlmobile
Not Yet Wild

Wow, can't believe nobody has experienced this.!
Have had several starter Gen or Regulators cause a HUGE drain on power
The first clue is the starter is VERY hot.
unplug the regulator and see if power returns (make sure the green wire is NOT grounded somewhere. maybe just unhook it )
if not,you will have to try a diff starter.
Believe me, this is REAL.
Just had one today.
But only a handful in 30 years.
rlmobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backfire, bog down, ez-go, loss of power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO