lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
Gwen
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1983 ez go gas wont start..

ok sorry to be confusing. Maybe I am not using the right terms. When I push the pedel it tries to start, to turns and turns and turns, like it wants to go but just never gets there. It even backfired once. My hubby tried to pull the choke in and out while he was doing it but it just never starts. He did have to 'bang' on the starter at one point because all it was doing was clicking at the solenoid when we pushed the pedel. does that make any more sense?
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
eriklou
Not Yet Wild

Ok, it turns over/cranks. Next step is checking the fuel flow, follow Dave Box's suggestion on the first page for that.
If it checks out then continue on to the carburetor, also new filters are recommended if you haven't done that already. Pull the carb off and clean it up, reconnect and try starting again, it will take a second for the fuel to prime. (Careful of gaskets)
Next is spark, pull the plug and crank the engine with the plug grounded on something there, if no spark pull plug and insert a small long bolt and hold the wire close to a metal ground. Crank and check for spark. If you get spark now versus when you had the plug in, your plug is bad.
After that it's time to look at compression and you'll need a compression gauge for that.
eriklou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Gwen, let's take baby steps here. The cart ran, you ran out of fuel and now it won't run. Running out of fuel did not break anything so we should be able to get her running again.

Now you did do what I suggested and blew into the tank until fuel came out of the pipe that you disconnected from the carburetor, yes?

Good now with the fuel line still disconnected crank the engine and tell me what you see coming out of the line

a) nothing at all
b) a dribble
c) a teaspoon every second or so
d) a tablespoon every second
e) an eggcup full or so.

From this we can determine if your fuel system is good or if the pump and/or crankshaft seals need attention.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
rfincher86
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
...My hubby says carb has a lot of play in it and it needs rebuilt / replaced?.....
I'm still concerned about this statement, if the carb has "play" in it and nothing has been done to correct it then that is their issue.
rfincher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes indeed if the carburetor is loose on the manifold it will not run and even if the play is on the throttle spindle that is not such good news. It is hard to diagnose at a distance but I like to look at the cause and effect, in this case I did this and this happened. In reality it could be low compression, worn seals, worn carburetor, cracked fuel pump or all of the above. Hopefully Gwen will come back with an update.

Dave
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
Gwen
Getting Wild

hey guys.. sorry not a lot of time to play around with my cart lately.. Dave to answer your question.. when I disconnect the fuel line from the carb.. and put it in the catch bottle it's just a dribble.. i would say the 1 teaspoon per seconds... i did manage to hook a bottle of gas.. very rudimentary.. to the fuel line going into the carb and got it to start.. once.. but can't seem to get it to that again? the carb does have 'play' in it like hubby says.. but it did run prior to that.. so?? I am up to rebuilding/buying new carb and fuel pump? is that going to cost me bunches? I really dont have a lot of time/money/ or good place to work on it. I appreciate all your help! you guys are very knowledgeable! thx. Gwen
Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #17
Gwen
Getting Wild

ok well i have not had a lot of time to work on my cart lately but the kids and i did clean it and i decreased the engine. Now it wont do anything. After finding a wiring diagram from here and comparing it to my cart it looks like it is missing the Ignitior and Pulsar coil.. unless I just don't know where to look for them... also the spark plug wire top part that plugs into the spark plug came apart. It ran before so thinking that i am missing those two parts or it doesnt need them? If anyone knows or have pictures of what they look like that would help. Just as a side note, maybe tmrw when it's light and not running, I will take some pictures of what I am talking about and you guys can tell me what I am looking at. thanks. Gwen

Last edited by Gwen; 04-14-2014 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: add more to the post
Old 04-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #18
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Gwen, things seem to be going from bad to worse but all is not lost. Your cart used to run so you do have an pulsar and an ignitor. The pulsar is buried behind the flywheel if you look under the front of the engine you will see two wires ( red and blue) coming out. these go to a white connector and then to the ignitor.

I am concerned about the low level of fuel you are seeing as that is not enough to run the engine. There are three possibilities.

a) a blocked fuel filter ( and I should have mentioned that earlier, sorry)
b) a broken fuel pump
c) damaged crankshaft seals.

On top of this you seem to have some doubts as to the spark plug working. So here is what I would do in this order.

1. Remove the spark plug and lie it on the top of the engine so that the body of the plug makes contact with the metal of the engine. Now try to start and look at the plug. If you see a nice blue spark you are good so put the plug back and forget about the pulsar and ignitor.

2. Replace the fuel filter, it's a bit of a long shot but it could be a $3 fix. Does it start?

3. If no then look to the rear of the engine and the clutch and you will see the crankshaft. As it goes into the engine it passes through the rear crankshaft seal and using some WD40 or brake cleaner spray right in there as someone tries to start the engine. For safety it might be best to remove the drive belt or jack up the rear end. If the engine makes a different noise or tries to start then you have diagnosed a worn seal.

Now to answer your questions. Jury rigging a fuel delivery system as you did id a great idea for a 4 cycle engine however the 2 cycle works differently. Instead of the fuel being delivered into the cylinder it is delivered into the crankcase. As the piston moves up and down it causes pressure changes in the case itself. These pressure oscillations drive the fuel pump but more importantly force fuel from the crankcase to the cylinder for burning. So if you have a leaking seal you will have no or low crankcase pressure and nothing will work. Quite a few have seen low fuel output, assumed the fuel pump is faulty and replaced it only to find no improvement. To further answer your question you should be able to find a pump for ~$35 and a carburetor for ~$100 but honestly let's not go there yet.

Try the things that I suggested and let us see where we get to.

Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Gwen
Getting Wild

Dave, thanks so much for being patient with me! I am going to try all the things that you have posted here and will get back to you about it. I am working on this mostly by myself right now cuz hubby is busy and I am anxious to hear it running again, LOL. Thanks so much for letting me know I have the ignition and coil. LOL, I kind of thought maybe it was in place I couldn't see and didn't think it wouldn't without it. It may be a few days but I will get something posted as soon as I can
Old 04-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
Gwen
Getting Wild

OK.. update.. tested for spark, thanks dave for telling me how to do this.. i didnt know.. and that looks good.. so got new fuel filters and actually just put in new fuel line to cuz that looked a little iffy.. the new FF, there were two, are clear so I can see that fuel is going thru them.. still no start but sounds a little better.... now what? does that mean fuel pump is good, crank seals are bad. Should I replace fuel pump first? hubby wants to pull motor from cart and do a full clean up rebuilt, replace.. which i know would be good and make it better for the future.. but want it running now and not laying on the garage floor. lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO