lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #21
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 ez go gas wont start..

Gwen, before you take out the engine I would do two things first.

Post 18 point 3 above, have you done that yet? This really is an important test just make sure that the WD40 or brake cleaner gets right in there.

If that make no change then I would disassemble the fuel pump and check for dirt and a torn diaphragm (that is really easy to do).

Finally if you decide to take the engine out it is essential that you beg, borrow or steal a compression tester and test the engine. Putting several hours into the engine will be fruitless if the compression is less than 90 psi.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
Gwen
Getting Wild

Ok, hubby is home today. I am trying to talk him out of taking out the engine. Trying to find on here how to change out the crank seals if we go there, I know I have seen it on here before. He already bought the seals anyway, but at least they were cheap, lol. Anyway, that aside, he is home today and we are going to try to spray the wd40 to test them, I couldn't do it by myself. He does have a compression tester so if we can find it we will check that too. Will try to post that back later tonight to let you know what we find out. thanks.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #23
Gwen
Getting Wild

ok, well here is what we did. Hubby decided he wanted to change out spark plug, carb and fuel pump. So we did all that. It still didn't start. We tried to spray the carb cleaner where you said and it didn't seem like it sounded any different. Then with it jacked up hubby took off the belt and kept pushing the pedal while using his hand to choke the carb where it comes out to go into the air cleaner. He did get it to start once and it ran rough for about 3 minutes until he stopped it. White smoke was coming out of the muffler. He put the belt back on and tried to get it to start again and it wouldn't. That was all we did with it last night. we will try to work on it again later today. Any suggestions?
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #24
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You can check to see if the muffler is blocked by loosening the two bolts between the exhaust pipe and the muffler. No need to remove them completely just create a gap to allow gasses to escape and see if it runs better. It will be very noisy.

When you refilled the tank did you mix the oil at 1 once per gallon of gasoline?

Dave
Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #25
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Are all these parts new and oem for your year cart?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #26
Gwen
Getting Wild

Well finally got hubby to loosen muffler.. it was running.. noisy.. but running.. then he couldn't get it to run again.. he still thinks its not getting enough gas cuz the FF fills with gas but then runs out.. as it is running.. we did mix gas 1 oz oil per gallon.. all parts were new and I think for our cart.. hubby got them off ebay.. lol
Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I think that we need to know what the compression is. If it is very low then the blow by will seriously affect operation of the crankcase. In addition if replacing the pump has not improved the fuel delivery then you are probably looking to replace the crankshaft seals. However you will need to check the crankshaft bearings because if they have play then your new seals will be ripped to shreds in hours.
Sorry that there does not seem to be a silver bullet solution.

Dave
Old 04-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
Gwen
Getting Wild

thanks dave. Hubby can't find his compression tester.. but is still looking. So hopefully he can find that and I can get a number on that for you. How do we check the bearings and how do we change the seals if that is what it comes down too? thanks. Gwen
Old 04-20-2014, 06:17 AM   #29
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

To test the rear bearings grab hold of the drive clutch and try to lift the engine up and down a few times. If you feel any movement of the crankshaft with relation to the crankcase then the rear bearings are worn. This does not test the front but the rear ones take the brunt of the wear so if they are good so will the front. If the rear is bad then you will change to front regardless of its condition.

Changing the seals is a long story involving removal of the engine and you don't want to do that until you have done the compression test so let's save that for another day.

Dave
Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #30
Gwen
Getting Wild

Ok, well I will have to find a tester than to test the compression. Hubby is back to working again so it might be a few days before he can get back to work on it, but I will let you know.

thanks Gwen
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO