lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha clutch or comet?

This has evolved quite a bit from where i thought it started. I thought we were originally talking about "direct bolt on", not "machine the crankshaft". Of course it will fit if you machine the end of the crank.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #12
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Who said anything about machining? We're talking hacksaw and drill here. Takes about 1-2 hrs, maybe more if you dont have sharp tools. I cut my crankshaft on my clone in about 2 minutes with my 4.5" grinder with a slicer wheel.

What we're talking is options. Can you use a tapered clutch on a 1" straight shaft? The answer is yes, if you modify the crank. Isn't that the point of the thread?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #13
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

This is better than " Days of our lives" LOL.
Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Right. Trim the crank down to the "proper size" to match the clutch you are using, use a bushing/washer against the crank lip to space it away from the engine. My clone ended up being something like 2 1/8" after cut down, I'd have to look that up. But you have to hold your clutch up there with the adapter on and see how far it needs trimmed. A little at a time. Then you'll need to redrill and retap the center hole.
But again, not recommended for a V-twin Briggs.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

It's just not recommended by me, but what the heck do I know?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #16
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well, I've never tried it, but I wouldn't recommend it either. I'm surprised people do it on the clones really. Slo knows what can happen on those. Not only that, if you ever decide to go with a different clutch made for a straight shaft you then have a crank that's probably going to be too short.

I did it on my 8hp build and not even sure it's staying tight. Guess I need to mark the clutch and shaft on mine with a paint pen and check it.

(I think I should stick to direct, to the point, posts like Marathon. A lot less typing.)
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #17
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Well either way this conversation is over. Im goin with a 780
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #18
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
Good choice, the 780 is way more tuneable. your good Yamaha clutch is worth
some cash toward the Comet.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
Glad to hear. Usually they are ready to go out of the box for clones and vtwins. I didn't do any tuning on mine, I think it's spot on!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I ran a CPP steel adapter on two clones in G9s with stock clutches and never had one problem. I put weights in my clutch twice since the clone (used ones) and now has good ones in it, but I got a 94c and now using that (also a taper clutch and still using the adapter). I've had it off there maybe 10 times tuning the 94c.

You have to cut the crank to fit the engine in there, in the G9 you don't have much room to the fuel tank so it must be cut more mine is cut the max at 1 1/8" long and still should be able to put a 1" clutch on that stub I'm told. I don't because I run gen start and need a taper clutch with the pulley....though you can make your own pulley to run a non-pulley clutch.

My clone has some mods on it but stock cam. I don't know about G9 clutch having any issues handling power from a v twin but it actually worked a little better with the clone than it did stock. I did drill the weights some for more rpm and modded it to open and close little more. The sheave is worn so it did not shift perfectly, but not the fault of a 20+ year old clutch.

Since stock cart clutches tend to take off smooth at low rpm, they are not the best for trail use. But these worked fine and would rev if you stayed on the gas. Ezgo you can get a different spring but yami primary has no spring. So far I can't take off without hitting 3600 rpm with my 94c so be careful what you wish for, as I don't always trail ride this cart it gets used for everything. That is fine on the trail but not really needed in the yard.

I wanted to post this because a lot of people might search on this issue and hit this thread.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha