lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Stone
Gone Wild

Default 86 marathon, some insight please?

I have an 86 marathon which I'm pretty happy with except she has no power on hills and takes a while to get up to speed on flats. I am not knowledgeable about exactly how the clutches, belt, and crankshaft work.

I watched while my nephew tried to go up a steep bank and the primary clutch was barely spinning, certainly not fast enough to pull in. I tested the compression and got 100 and I am not sure what to check next. I know the secondary is closing when the cart shuts down and I know the clutches work properly when the rear end is jacked up.

I want to go by standard troubleshooting procedures and tackle the cheapest/easiest things first. I know a shorter belt would help low end but I don't want to do that until I have done what I can with clutches and made sure there is not something I am missing.

Also, Can someone tell me if the rubber plug in the left center of this photo of my differential is the only thing I need to remove to fill it ..................and what oil to use?

golf cart differential.jpg
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Default Re: 86 marathon, some insight please?

100 is on the low side of things. It's not going to be a great runner at that compression. The plug is for filling, and I used 80-90 gear oil when I had that rear.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Stone
Gone Wild

Thanks!

What can I do to get the best performance for 100 compression until we can decide if we want to rebuild?
Old 09-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Nothing you can do really. With low compression numbers you can't get what the motor is capable of out of it. Your losing all of its oomph. I'm not saying it's your only problem, but the one that I would address first.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I don't think 100 pounds is low enough to cause a problem. Mine was 90 cold, and it still screams. I would start looking at a clogged exhaust, and possibly a ripped diaphragm in the fuel pump.

A good carburetor cleaning would be in order after that.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
I don't think 100 pounds is low enough to cause a problem. Mine was 90 cold, and it still screams. I would start looking at a clogged exhaust, and possibly a ripped diaphragm in the fuel pump.

Thanks, I did some more reading and found that is 100 okay.

I should have added more info:

I have BBQ'd the muffler, it has a new fuel pump, and the carb has been thoroughly cleaned.

1. Is there any test for the muffler such as air flow?

2. I do question the carb as it doesn't seem to make much difference when I play with the adjustment.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

I agree, Mine has 100 and my wife and I are 425lb between us and it does fine, even on hills
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:37 AM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Have you checked the belt width? Should be 1 3/16" wide. Much less and it will slip. The clutches operate by attempting to stay in equilibrium. As the drive (front) clutch closes it grabs the sides of the belt and pulls it into the rear (driven) clutch. This changes the gear ratio to allow the engines power to transfer properly to the rear end (think ten speed bike gearing). If the engine is revving properly when jacked up and no load, then you MAY be having issues with the belt being worn out or the clutches not engaging properly. The compression normally would be 120+ but 100 isn't totally gone yet just realize that a rebuild is coming. You could also have leaky crank seals.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #9
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
Have you checked the belt width? Should be 1 3/16" wide. Much less and it will slip. The clutches operate by attempting to stay in equilibrium. As the drive (front) clutch closes it grabs the sides of the belt and pulls it into the rear (driven) clutch. This changes the gear ratio to allow the engines power to transfer properly to the rear end (think ten speed bike gearing). If the engine is revving properly when jacked up and no load, then you MAY be having issues with the belt being worn out or the clutches not engaging properly. The compression normally would be 120+ but 100 isn't totally gone yet just realize that a rebuild is coming. You could also have leaky crank seals.
I am going to check the seals today.

I have measured the belt and ordered a new one just in case but based on what I saw when I watched it try to go up a steep hill I don't think it's the belt. However..........I am basing that on my limited knowledge of how this entire process works. Correect me if I am wrong but if the belt were worn, wouldn't the primary clutch spin and just not grab the belt? I saw the primary barely spinning and the engine not revving.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I see that you have done a muffler BBQ. Have you tried disconnecting the muffler, and making a test run since then?
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO