lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Locking the differential on a G1

So I've been thinking about flipping the gears in the diff to lock it up so I can get some better traction in the woods. I know many of you have done this before so I wanted to ask is it worth it and if so how big of a pain in the butt is it to do? I've never worked on a golf cart diff before so I could also use some helpful tips from some of you who did this to your G1. Thanks in advance for any input.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Locking the differential on a G1

its totally worth it, depending on your intended use. It does have 2 drawbacks, reduced steering response (the back "locked" makes the front try to always go straight). and increased tire wear on any surface that is not loose like sand. if you do alot of street driving, leave it alone. if it is used mainly off-road in sand & mud, do it! its not too hard, once the axle is out of the cart. >IMPORTANT< Use a gasket for the axle housing "halves", dont replace the gasket with only silicone to seal the two halves together, the gasket's thickness is part of the spacing for the gears & bearings. its one of those things where "maybe" there is enough tolerance, maybe not, dont find out the expensive way there was not enough.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the tip cgtech. I'm thinking more and more about doing this. I mostly use it in the woods on the quad trails or around the yard when I'm bored but we do take it with us to the campground about 3-4 times a year. The campground is about 50-50 gravel pavement. I'm not worried about tire wear but I am concerned about how it would handle with a 6" lift and 22's. I don't want to make it unsafe for my wife or kids to drive. Is it a really noticeable difference in the turns to the point it would be dangerous for someone who didn't know the steering is different because the rear is locked? Or is it more of a slight difference from normal that only someone who knows it is locked would feel?
Old 08-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

its noticable, but not unsafe. you can get a preview by driving a rxv on dirt. rxv is not totally locked tho, it has a posi, so it can "give".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

A locker on pavement will definitely turn very wide. Not safe for fast driving on pavement. Slow driving is fine. Driving on pavement will also increase the risk of failure inside the differential, although if you go slow it should be fine. If you "go slow" on pavement you might get annoyed, but it should work. Around turns it can get dangerous on pavement because the inside tire will want to turn the same amount as the outside tire, that creates slip, slip can make you lose control. If it doesn't slip, it will want to "push" into the turn and make it feel like it doesn't want to turn. And, yes, it will wear your tires about 50% quicker.

Lockers are way better because they "unlock" when turning. None are available for the G1, G2, G9 differentials. You would have to upgrade to the G16 rear, or go with an EZGO TXT #ME29 type. None of these are "bolt in" and will require a bit of fabrication to make work. No increase in tire wear. No noticeable handling differences on pavement, other than noise, some clicking sounds maybe.

My next mod will be a G16 or TXT rear end with a locker. Or, if I can find one, a rear out of a UTV of some sort with a "low range".
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Those are some good points slonomo. This is starting to sound like a good for me but bad for everyone else situation. Might have to do this once I get another cart running so I can have a dedicated woods buggy. Bummer...
Old 08-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Don't think you are the only one. There is also a rear for a ezgo utility that has a posi in it. I tend to lean that way if it spins, and run bigger tread tires that don't spin. Posi would be really nice in the snow. I've considered putting turn brakes on it to control spin but I don't ride that many hills so its not a problem very often. Plus with the clone engine I can power down and spin my way through some things I could not before, without getting stuck. Yes it is a lot of fun to spin the tires....
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Yes it is a lot of fun to spin the tires....
Well said sir, well said. I'm seeing a drift cart being built in the near future. That little G1 would whip around like crazy with stock tires.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You are so right. When I was young I had the opportunity to work at a GC with 60 of them, had one for service that I modded. It was fast and I could hang it sideways all the way up 400yd fairways in the morning dew. Of course if I did one it would have a 340 enticer motor in it and not be lifted, but would have offset wheels and some kind of flat track tire with little tread You are talking fun at 10+ ratings!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:10 PM   #10
rib33024

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g1 posi, g1 traction, locking the g1 diffential
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha