lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Intro / First G1

I have been posting in BGW for some time now as I have a thing for vintage carts:

'67 Pargo electric
'68 Cushman electric
'78 HD gas
'85 Columbia gas (3 wheel, converted to HEI ignition)
'85 Columbia gas (4 wheel, converted to HEI ignition)
'91 EZ Go 6 person shuttle electric (converted to 48v with a Scotty kit)
'02 CC electric (ok, this isn't vintage)

I just came into an '87 G1. This is first cart I have ever acquired that actually ran when I got it. The body is shot (salvageable though) and it has no seats. That's where I'll be expending most of my efforts for now. All the same, I am sure I'll be lurking and posting here and there. If I post or say something stupid feel free to call me out on it. I know old carts pretty well but am new the G1.

First things first, the "Everything about G1s for Newbies" sticky is genius. It already answered a couple of basic questions I had about this thing.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Intro / First G1

You're going to wonder why you ever messed with the harley/Columbia's the g1 is/was the king of two stroke carts in my humble opinion..... Also if you haven't already read about it or checked it out the crank seals are probably the most common problem on these unless they have been done recently they probably will need to be replaced
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, the HD / Columbia thing is strictly for nostalgia reasons. My folks had those types of carts when I was a kid. That said, is there any cart more cool looking / iconic than those 3 wheel HDs? You are correct in that those carts sure are finicky. Once you get one dialed in, however, they run pretty good. I converted mine from points to electronic ignitions and that made a world of difference.

As you can see, I am not brand specific. I just love old carts. I snagged the G1 for a fair price and I am ready for a new project. I started the body work yesterday. I'll post some pics when I get some time.

I hear you with the crank seals. I had to do them in each of the HDs / Columbias. If I am not mistaken that's common most 2 cycle motors. In checking the sticky it looks like those are a lot easier to do on the Yamaha though so that's good. Mine is running great right now so, who knows, they may have been done.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

you said you were working on the body iv painted a few of the g1s one thing to watch for is the newer ones have a plastic front piece rather than fiber glass the plastic ones were a little harder to paint they have to be prepped perfectly it is really easy to "fish eye" the paint
Old 02-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Good call. I didn't know that. This is an '87 so I would assume it has the plastic. I am going to prime and seal it prior to paint (single stage auto paint, no rattle cans). Would that work or is there something else I should do?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm no expert on paint but it should
Old 02-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I used the flexible primer as for plastic car bumpers, only seal it if you need to change the color shade for coverage. I used that and a little flex filler to repair any damage, then wet sanded it all. I have also used the adhesion promoter out of a rattle can, under car paint, under the sealer. Because only the flex prime is really flexible. Keep your paint on the thinner side, don't blow four coats on or something it will want to crack much easier. I base/cleared and it held up on a plastic G9 body really well. It only came off where it was struck with a tool for example. Not sure why he carried tools on the back but whatever. Made me wish I painted mine but I never did, was afraid tree branches would damage it but that did not happen with his.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #8
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Yeah, the HD / Columbia thing is strictly for nostalgia reasons. My folks had those types of carts when I was a kid. That said, is there any cart more cool looking / iconic than those 3 wheel HDs? You are correct in that those carts sure are finicky. Once you get one dialed in, however, they run pretty good. I converted mine from points to electronic ignitions and that made a world of difference.

As you can see, I am not brand specific. I just love old carts. I snagged the G1 for a fair price and I am ready for a new project. I started the body work yesterday. I'll post some pics when I get some time.

I hear you with the crank seals. I had to do them in each of the HDs / Columbias. If I am not mistaken that's common most 2 cycle motors. In checking the sticky it looks like those are a lot easier to do on the Yamaha though so that's good. Mine is running great right now so, who knows, they may have been done.
how did you convert the motor to electronic ignition ?
what parts were used ?
did the flywheel need mods ? [trigger ?]
do the motor reverse operation as well ?
would the same or similar mods work on a G-1 ?

my g-1 is plagued with random sparks that can stop the motor
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The electronic ignition conversion can be done on carts that use points. If you have a points cart the conversion can be done. I wrote a sticky about it in the Columbia forum that can be found here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...formation.html

I believe some of the older G1s were points carts but I am not sure. I would assume the wiring would be pretty similar.

If you have one of the "newer" G1s that are already electronic then you may want to start a new thread with what issues you are having.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha