lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Default Yamaha G1 gas engine pre-ignition lock up

I pulled my stator out when I removed my coil for rewinding ... Got coil back and put it all back together lining up marks that I had placed across stator plate .

So I've got spark in forward but nothing in reverse but I wanted to hear the motor fire up so I gave it a little shot of starter fluid and pressed the gas pedal .

I get a nice CLICK sound and the starter starts to spin but the detonation seems early and motor locks up then rolls again with starter ... Fires ... Locks up

Are these engines difficult to time ?
Who sells the best rebuild manual / CD-DVD ?
G-gaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2017, 03:35 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 gas engine pre-ignition lock up

Yamaha sells the best manual, and they don't sell it on disc, only paper, a real book like you will remember. All others you may find are scans of the original paper, usually with poor quality looking pics, so don't pay $ for them. Either buy the real book, or find the free "bootleg" and be happy with it's "free" quality pictures. The original G1 manual didn't have too many pictures anyway. (I have one, it's called "the old G1 bible" around the shop, doesn't get used often...)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I posted a manual in the garage and workshop section in pdf form
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I know when I advanced the timing on one I moved the plate far as I could, even worked out the hole some to get more. It was just enough it was faster and slower in reverse.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Thank you for that shop manual .... Awesome

According to the manual I've got my timing marks lined up but I'm still getting pre mature IGN ... And sporadic spark in reverse

Gonna slide my S plate a little more clockwise to see if it's a timing problem or is my new CDI working right
Old 05-22-2017, 02:22 AM   #6
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Got it sparking in f and R .... Completed circuit with dash lamp for back up buzzer ... Still having ignition problems .... It just pops and doesn't seem to want to run .... Pops and stop ... Then continues with the starter rollin
Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Hmmmm. I am still somewhat new to the G1s but your symptoms resemble what I have seen 100 times with older Columbias when their ignition modules go bad (ignition modules on the Columbias serve the function and are constructed very similar to the cdi). When they go bad they will give you an occasional spark but that's it. Sometimes, changing directions (F or R) will actually get things going a bit but not for very long. I have no idea why though.

I wouldn't be shocked if your CDI is on the blink but, again, I am still kinda new to G1s.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:03 PM   #8
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

The CDI is brand new off eBay .... I completed the circuit for the back up buzzer with a dash board light and got spark in Reverse and forward ... Shot some start fluid in carb ... Hit gas pedal and keep getting the same thing ... When it hits detonation I gat a pop and the motor stops .... If hold gas down it start cranking then "Pop" .... Engine stops then continues to crank then "Pop" ... Stops then starts Rollin again

I'm currently gonna check my ignition system and so far I found my charging coil is reading 375 ohms and both brown and black wires have continuity and manual says there should be no circuit
Old 05-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Darn I'll tell you. That is EXACTLY what my failed modules do. That "pop" actually sounds kinda violent at times. Obviously, you are on the right track with the ignition. I wish I could help you more with this but I just don't know about these carts enough yet.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Think I would try to move it until it ran? Different cdi might have different timing I don't know. Most yamaha are TCI which is transistor control ignition, it is more or less transistor controlled current to imitate points. So it uses a points type 12v coil you need a cdi coil to use real cdi they are different. CDI is much higher voltage its not a 12v coil. If you search yamaha motorcycle and tci you can find a page that describes it. Here, I assume G1 is TCI I don't recall I'd have to look it up you need to verify that. G2/9 are.
http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/IgnitionFAQ.html#a7p0
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha