lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

Default 1983 Yamaha G1 gas improvement project

So I have decided to go crazy with my 1983 Yamaha G1 gas cart for my kids to rip around town for the summer. I have installed a Jake's 6inch lift with new 23x10x14 wheels and tires. New adjustable shocks in the rear. New kingpin and bushings. New high-performance carburetor. BBQ-ed the muffler

Here is a small list that currently has the project on hold.
1. Primary clutch is interfering with the frame. Is there a purchasable clutch that does not have this issue? Will the comet duster clutch clear?
2. Is there a good shock option for the front? I have only seen oem replacements. I have a new set technically for the 450 which work great on the back but create horrible camber issues on the front.
3. Is there any other improvements I could be doing while I have the cart stripped down even though the drive-train and chassis are decent.

any help is appreciated
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1983 Yamaha G1 gas improvement project

1.) You'll have to notch the frame for clutch clearance.
2.) Look on Ebay for adjustable air shocks like you have on the rear (they're Chinese but work well) and are around $75.00 for a set of 2. Just make sure to find something close to stock size so you don't have camber issues.
3.) I touched up any rust spots while I had the body off and I'm glad I did it. Give it a good once over, check your belts, sheaves, bushings, etc... Everything is easier to work on while its stripped down.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

ty for the good tips.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

Primary clutch 2.jpg
Clutch looks decent still so just cleaning everything and a little fresh grease on the shaft and shim behind spring
Old 06-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #5
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

High Performance Carb.jpg
New High Performance Carb Of Amazon. Cant wait to try it out
Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

drilled govenor.jpg
After examining the governor system I decided to try drilling slot out on top of gov. bracket and re-attach to shaft without tightening bottom screw. It seems to work the gov. shaft no-longer pulls back on throttle. Nice thing is exhaust butterfly and all linkage works as it should. Have not road tested yet but it seemed to work while on jack stands.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

golf cart.jpg
Yep defiantly need some fine tuning to make these fit with no issues.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Most people take the exhaust butterfly out it was there to help quite the motor a little at low idle as for clutch lube us a dry lithium grease you if you use normal grease dirst and clutch dust will stick to it and gum up the clutch
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

ty didn't know that about exhaust butterfly thought it might help with backpressure at low rpm
Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If the valve is adjusted perfect it works ok to make it quieter and does not affect WOT, but for off course use you often go faster and it does not serve much purpose. Up to you if you take it out or leave it. Just make sure its open far at WOT.

Stock single are has limited travel or you get camber issues. If your shock is too long or short or has a lot of travel you get it. Some use ex400 quad shocks, front ones. I would suggest you use something without a ton of travel and make adjustable mounts you can move up/down to fit whatever shock you end up using, that would help make something work for you if you could adjust it. All you need is multiple holes to mount shock or move bracket. I used 1.5x3 tube and cut on angle and put 3 holes in end. I was able to move the stock shock and lean it in more to use other holes it works. I made the front softer than stock using stock shocks. It will get camber issue with lot of weight on it but that does not happen that much. Ride on trails is much better. I did the same on the rear.

Front bracket is the 1.5x3 tube by maybe 11 or 14ga I forget, and a piece of 1/4 plate welded on the back of it that bolts to frame, the tube bolts to the stock shock hole. There is three holes for the shock to be in. Rear has 4 holes I did that mostly to haul stuff in the dump box like sand and fire wood. Makes it ride harder though. If you can weld something up you can make mounts like this pretty simple. I set it where I want and never mess with it. I have moved the shocks maybe 5 times in 18 years. The rear is set to stiff, lately I moved it back forward for better ride since I don't haul as much stuff. Plus I had to take it apart to get the carb off my clone anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart engine 007.jpg (159.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Oct 2010 027.jpg (192.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Oct 2010 022.jpg (166.7 KB, 0 views)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha