lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Default Electrical problems,

Okay, i have looked everywhere and cant find another problem thats the same. Sorry if i missed it but here goes.
So i have what i am pretty sure is an 83 yamaha G1. I have a problem that seems to keep coming back. Everything works fine and then randomly the battery dies. I have replaced the battery, and voltage regulator. If i jump it with a charger it fires right up. Battry has 12.5ish volts. I run it and test volts at the battery and still good. Voltage regulator is good as well. But when i take the charger off and let go of the gas....its got very little turn then dead. Check the battery and its still at 12.5. Took the generator apart and cleaned it the brushes are all good and same thing. I dont know what elese to test or how. Any help? Pretty please.....
crazyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Electrical problems, please help.

If your battery is 12.5 before and after fail then your battery isn't dying. Something else is wrong. Try bypassing the relay on the inside top of the rear passenger wheel. Simply pull the white wires out of the relay and connect them and see if that fixes things. The other wires can stay put. All that relay is for is to cause a delay in starting so that when you switch between forward and reverse there is a pause. Bypassing it is no big deal. Mine was doing the same as yours and that fixed things for me.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Not sure what relay you mean?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so i have been testing again and i just noticed that when i run it full speed with tires off the ground it looks good.... when i let it stop its still shows good but when i hit the pedal in forward or reverse it drops from 12.4 to 6! Is that normal?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Electrical problems,

The relay I am referring to is on the passenger rear wheel well, above the solenoids. It's really isn't needed.
Yes, your voltage will drop at the battery during starts as voltage is being used being used to turn the starter. It should shoot back up once the motor is running.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

That is already taken out of the mix before i bought it. It seems the more it runs the faster it dies...dur it show its charging....im so confused
Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Your issue way well not be electrical. You could have a compression or a fuel delivery issue. Check compression, I think it should be right around 120 psi on these carts.

For fuel, when your cart dies pull the plug and see if it's grayish / whiteish which is an indication that it's running without sufficient fuel draw.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

It never dies, it does everything fine but when i stop and let it stop running for a few seconds the battery turns over really slow then nothing. If i jump it its fine and if i recharge it it will work for a short while
Old 07-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Put the cart in nuetral and get a volt meter put it on battery post and run the cart wide open it should read 13.5-14.5 ish volts if it stays at your 12.5 area you have a charging issue
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

It does, could it be a intermittent short in the starter generator or one of the solenoids? It seems like it will be fine for a week or a day or whatever then bam.... maybe a short?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha