lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
jaspernonces
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G9 rear end problems

Hello guys, So... I've been building my G9 cart & am almost done, except my rear end sounds like it's screaming when i give it gas. I have my son give it gas & while i'm looking at the driven clutch... it moves kinda wobbles, if that makes sense. In addition to that it makes a horrible loud screeching sound when i accelerate. Almost like a loud slipping belt sound, but i think it's coming from the differential/driven clutch. The belt seems to be fine & tension is correct. I did drive it down the street to feel what else it was doing. It felt like it slipped a couple times & then it was making a faint sound like as if there were bolts being rattled around inside. (that's the only way i can describe it). The "whinning" sound is really loud, it gets louder as i accelerate & then "whines down", when i let off the gas.
Seing that driven clutch move around was also worrying me a lot..I wasn't sure if the input shaft was bent or what?? so i decided to start taking everything apart.
I did notice that there was a lot of "slop" on the clutch & spring seat parts (maybe thats why it looks like it's moving around). i got as far as i could & i took pics as i took everything off. I'm not sure if i'm missing some spacers or what... but everything in the pictures is what was on the shaft. I'm not a really good mechanic & have never dealt with anything like this before. any help would be appreciated!! I don't really know what to do from this point. Do i need new bearing inside? I have no idea what i'm looking at.
One thing i did do though once everything was removed... i turned the shaft by hand & noticed it was making a noise when i turned it... I'm not sure if this is normal.. here's a link to a video i made of when i was turning the shaft.

https://vimeo.com/223064502

the noise in the video is actually louder than i really sounded just FYI.

Please if anyone can help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2035.jpg (90.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2036.jpg (76.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2037.jpg (79.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2038.jpg (70.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2039.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
jaspernonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
jaspernonces
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G9 rear end problems

here's the rest of the photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2041.jpg (87.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2042.jpg (60.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2043.jpg (91.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2048.jpg (50.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2049.jpg (73.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That's a tough call, something internal because after all the G9/G2 carts I have had, never have they sound like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marks141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
jaspernonces
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks141 View Post
That's a tough call, something internal because after all the G9/G2 carts I have had, never have they sound like that.

Yeah this is killing me

Old 06-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
marks141
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G9 rear end problems

Well you can drive it like that and hope or open it up and take a peek

marks141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It sounds like it is possibly not all the way in gear (shift dog teeth skipping). Try that in both shifter positions, and try manually operating the shifter on the front of the transmission itself. For the clutch, some bad news. Sliding sheave is trashed, fixed sheave might be good. Spring seat is probably ok. Looks like spacer (last removable part, nearest transmission) may be too worn. That snap ring should not be there with the spacer, don't reinstall it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
jaspernonces
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
It sounds like it is possibly not all the way in gear (shift dog teeth skipping). Try that in both shifter positions, and try manually operating the shifter on the front of the transmission itself. For the clutch, some bad news. Sliding sheave is trashed, fixed sheave might be good. Spring seat is probably ok. Looks like spacer (last removable part, nearest transmission) may be too worn. That snap ring should not be there with the spacer, don't reinstall it.

I'll try moving that adjustment and see if that sound is still there! Which parts are the sheaves? Could that be making that crazy loud sound you think? It's weird because the backside of that spacer has a cutout which looks exactly like the snap ring
Thank you for responding

Old 06-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

That piece is garbage, and will make one helluva racket. Fixed sheave is the other side of that, the one that doesn't slide back. The spacer is a replacement for the snap ring, snap ring is known to cause problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2039.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #9
jaspernonces
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
That piece is garbage, and will make one helluva racket. Fixed sheave is the other side of that, the one that doesn't slide back.

Ahh nice.. maybe replace all of those pieces then. I'll take another pic of the reverse side of that snap ring

Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #10
jaspernonces
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
That piece is garbage, and will make one helluva racket. Fixed sheave is the other side of that, the one that doesn't slide back. The spacer is a replacement for the snap ring, snap ring is known to cause problems.

Copy that about that ring..
So in that video.when I was turning the shaft that was in neutral... when I put it in F or R it engages. So I guess that's okay? Just didn't know if it should be making any sounds when in neutral or not.
Here's a pic of that spacer also

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha