lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default G9 starving for fuel

I am looking at a 91 g9 for a no start. Have to close the choke to get it to start. Opening the choke at any time will cause it to stall. Pulled the fuel line and cranked the motor. Seems to be enough fuel from the pump while cranking and the fuel filter stays full. Pulled carb and spacer and replaced gaskets. Cleaned and blew out the carb and jets. Don't want to throw a pump at it yet. Any thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
The Big Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G9 starving for fuel

How's the air box look if not sealed perfectly these cart will run very poorly
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

I have replaced 3 of the 4 rubber straps. The forth is broken and held together with a tie wrap. The lid looks closed pretty well. I have read that the air box will affect how it runs. Exactly how does it affect it? Runs rich? Lean?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Runs lean less air restriction when it isn't sealed.. iv had a few iv worked on have warped lids so it's hard to get then to seal with the straps and have been able to seal them up by running duct tape around the seam of the lid
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've had to bungee them shut. They will run lean, not start, sputter like crazy. You can richen up the idle jet and get them to idle when you rev they die. Another thing is if you run out of fuel you need to fill the tank, but if its pumping out you are good. If it starts on choke its most commonly leaky airbox or spacer, hose, etc. Or dirty main jet, water in fuel, etc. Even removing the silencer from airbox will do it, the part that hangs over the generator. I took mine off had to hog out the main jet to get it to run good after that.
If none of that you could try taking the bowl off in cart and see if fuel coming out good enough, to check float valve though issue with them is not common. If someone put a new carb on from ebay some will not run right until you put original jets from old carb in them.

Oh and when the mix is off they really like to foul the plug. Use the newer plug for G14/etc ngk bpr2es I think. If plug fouled sometimes you can pull the boot part way off and make it fire. Plug will not look bad but it wont run. The bpr2 is hotter than plug they came with and used on newer models it does not foul as easily.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

The air box doesn't look like its in the greatest shape. I will have to try the duct tape and see if there is any improvement. So pulling the air tube off the carb is going to make it even leaner? That would explain why I cant find any real reason for an extremely lean engine.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some of them will run with the hose off, I think it is because the air does not flow well into the open carb. It flows great in the hose and if the airbox is leaking it flows more. Mine did not run as well with the hose off (only tested in neutral) but it would run, it would not run leaking airbox it sputtered and died when gassed on (moving under load). After I modded the box and jetted it, it ran fine. I never ran (moving under load) it without a filter its dusty there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #8
The Big Weezy
Getting Wild
Club Car

After replacing the air box gasket, the cart would start and run. It doesn't run well but it will run and drive without the choke being on all the time. The owner doesn't want to spend any money on the old cart so he bought a newer one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha