lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
smoother
Not Yet Wild

Default proper ratio for fuel/oil

Hi all, Believe it or not ,I bought an old three wheel ezgo with a gas motor. Took a few hours of learning the odd things this has but I have it running pretty good. I used the fuel that was in the tank and it is certainly old. There is a hand written note that says to use 1 oz of oil per gallon. That seems a little lean to me but what do I know. Can anyone offer a clue to what's correct? Thanks
smoother is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: proper ratio for fuel/oil

1oz per gal. for light use like golfing
1.5oz per gal. for heavy use like constant running
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
smoother
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. Now on to the next issues.I had flushed the fuel system and was surprised at the amount of water I found. How did this thing run I wonder.Anyway, today is a "I don't want to run backward" day. All I get is backfire out the exhaust. Switch it to forward and it takes right off. I drove it a while and I get intermitent backfires when after I coast and get back on the gas. I played with the only screw on the carb and it doesn't seem to make a difference one way or another. Then after it gets hot, it starts running worse and worse. Even died once but restarted and got me home. It cools off and its like new again. When I got this, the points were installed incorrectly and I gave them a gap of 17 thou. I am having a hard time remembering points and stuff after so many years. I have to say that this is the strangest engine I have ever worked on. This frontwards /backwards thing is understandable but weird. I guess what I'm asking is this. I know this is an older unit. Not many parts are available as far as I know.It is sound right now and only needs to run a woman down the 3/4 mile drive to get mail daily and drop off garbage once a week. Is this something that can be done this at this stage of the game?You guys are way into this and I would appreciate your input.
smoother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello smoother and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

Not sure about how those models are but you must have the point break on TDC for it to run right fowards and reverse. there should be some amount of adjustment as far as when the points open. You may need to run a compression test in both directions.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Go Time
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That fuel/oil ratio (~85:1) seems awful light on oil. I have always been advised to run 2 strokes from 50:1 to 32:1. I'm preparing to mix my gas as well and am just trying to sort this out.
Go Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

My advise would be sell the 2 stroke and buy a 4 stroke, that way you don't have to worry about how much oil to mix. I know in most cases this isn't a realistic option.
Ezgo says 1.5oz per gal for heavy use and 1oz per gal for light use. I've never really thought about it being to little or to much. the weed eater and chainsaw I have I just use the little package/bottle (1.5oz) of oil you mix in a gal, I've never had any problems. You should run however much you feel is necessary, so what if it cost more, clogs up the muffler, and fouls the plug. at least your engine won't seize do to lack of oil.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome to BGW.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
bustin-bs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

1.5oz per gal. for heavy use like constant running- good to knoe thanxs...
bustin-bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
bustin-bs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

1.5oz per gal. for heavy use like constant running- good to know thanxs...
bustin-bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO