lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
hovercraftdriver
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 G29(I guess?) Jerking at low speed

2014 Gas cart, had a couple of months, bought from local, reputable cart customizer. Last week or so it has started to get herky-jerky when starting to accelerate in forward or reverse. The drive belt doesn't look noticeably worn or damaged, measures 1 1/8" wide. Took the drive clutch cap off, parts moved smoothly, no noticeable wear... ran the cart up in neutral, drive clutch and driven clutch seem to both move in and out smoothly, no slippage of belt, but obviously no load either.

First time cart owner here, have gone through many tips and troubleshooting ideas on the web, now I guess it's time to start trading out parts, starting with the belt. Unless someone has some ideas.

One thing to note, it seems like the cart will not run at lower RPM (idle if you will), even with minimal pedal...it instantly goes to fast rpm. I used to be able to start off at slow speed and maneuver in and around obstacles to get it out of my yard. Afraid to do that now as it just wants to take off like a rocket. I have made a bad habit of punching gas pedal quickly to unlock brake...is it possible I have damaged cable or linkage?

Seems like everything points to clutches from what I have read, but they seem to move smoothly enough like I said. I really can't find a way to effectively troubleshoot them though...and pointers?

Thanks in advance for any help!
hovercraftdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
fastbasser
Getting Wild

Default Re: 2014 G29(I guess?) Jerking at low speed

Hmmmm sounds like mine...
fastbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Could be your problem if the throttle is open the pedal switches on and off. The carb should not open until *after* the pedal switch starts it. Should be a simple throttle cable adjustment. On older yamaha the floor panel pulls out and its right there, I forget on a G29. Or the cable is broken or dirty /etc. Make sure you turn off the key if you play with the pedal and cable so it does not take off on you.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When I first got my cart it needed a new drive belt. Not knowing better I purchased an aftermarket belt on line. The quality of this belt was bad and it would melt and leave black rubber streaks on the clutch faces. This caused a jerking sensation also and an uneven up and down shifting on the clutches. I replaced the belt with an OEM belt and cleaned the clutch faces with mineral spirits to remove the rubber deposits and this solved my problem.
Good Luck.

Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
hovercraftdriver
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to you both...going out to check throttle cables now and have already ordered new OEM belt...no markings that I can see on the current one.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
hovercraftdriver
Not Yet Wild

So I posted a video on my YouTube channel of the clutch operation... it's obviously in neutral with no load. Do I need to be driving it to provide more help? As a new member, I can't post links yet, but Google "Yamaha Golf Cart drivetrain" if you would like to see if it helps. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #7
hovercraftdriver
Not Yet Wild

I hate it when people post a problem and don't go back and post solution, so here I am again...

The short throttle cable had somehow become seriously frayed/kinked at the governor end, which kept it from retracting into it's sleeve, which was just enough to keep the throttle open so that there was no low speed.

Since I was convinced by reading so much about these carts that there was some clutch or drive train problem, I never looked at carb and cable related stuff. Plus the end that was frayed was under the starter, which made it a b1tch to see. Only after I pulled the cable to lube it after I discovered the carb wasn't closing up, did I discover the problem. Good news is after a new cable and new drive belt, the buggy runs smoother than when I bought it a few months ago. And I also know a lot more about the cart in general now.

Thanks to those that responded to me. Cheers!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha